Unable to change Type tag in MM 4

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Dragonscribe

Unable to change Type tag in MM 4

Post by Dragonscribe »

I have two large collections, one of music and one of audiobooks. All are mp3s. I would like to collect them under two nodes in the media tree, Music and Audiobook. These are both choices in the drop down list for "Type." However, when I change this tag from "Music" to "Audiobook" it doesn't stay that way.

Generally what I've been doing is opening files in a folder that I navigate to by some other node (location, genre, album artist, etc) and then open the property editor to change Type from "Music" to "Audiobook." It reverts to "Music" the next time I open the properties, even if I shut down and restart MM first. The File(s) remain in the original node, even if I add/rescan the folder.

I also can't find a column to view this tag. One post suggested it is in the "Extension" tag, but this always displays as "mp3"

I thought about using one of the custom variables instead of "Type" but I thought, what the heck, I might as well find out if there is a right way to do it before I start making up my own.
SansaMonkey

Re: Unable to change Type tag in MM 4

Post by SansaMonkey »

What is the genre for your "Audiobooks"?
Dragonscribe

Post by Dragonscribe »

The Genre tags for Audio books are values like "World History" "Military Fiction" "Science" etc.

For Music, Genre has values like "Country" Rock" Folk" etc.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

What version of MediaMonkey 4 (Help > About) are you using? There should be no problem changing the Type in the Properties window as it is a database only value. Do you rescan or have Folder Monitoring enabled?
Dragonscribe

Post by Dragonscribe »

It's 4.03.1465

Given your question, I turned on continuous monitoring and now the tag stays with the value I changed it to.
This solves my problem, thanks very much for taking the time to explore it.

Not clear to me why this works when rescanning doesn't but -- If it works, don't ask why, just use it.

Thanks again. :D
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

That's weird as I thought it might be causing the problem.