Solo Artist

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Solo Artist

Post by Guest »

Have run into a problem I can't figure out. Have an artist who goes out and does a solo album separate from his group (say Brian Wilson). Then returns to the group (The Beach Boys) for other albums. So I have the solo album tagged as the solo artist and solo album artist (Brian Wilson). But, would like to connect the solo artist to the group so If I search for the group the solo artist is listed also.

I guess I can add the band as a multi-album artist (Brian Wilson; Beach Boys), but that doesn't seem right. I could use one of the Custom fields, but then have to change all the search views. I thought about adding the band name as Brian Wilson [Beach Boys] but that could make the Artist name long.

Any other ideas?

KB
k_r_eriksson

Re: Solo Artist

Post by k_r_eriksson »

How do you search? If you add beach boys to a custom field and then search for beach boys it will show that album.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Involved People would seem like an ideal field to add individual people.
Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made »

You could couple the Involved People field with the Magic Nodes script. The Involved People field by itself isn't very useful since there isn't a node for it, but it would allow things to come up for you via search. With that script however, you can create a node, and even use it to sub-categorize within the field. Do something like "Groups : +44 ~ Travis Barker;Groups : Blink-182 ~ Travis Barker" (for songs involving Travis Barker) and then use the script to create several nodes based on this field. You can get a tree structure looking something like this if you want:

Code: Select all

| Involved People
| \_ By Group
|    \_ +44
|       \_ Travis Barker
|    \_ Blink-182
|       \_ Travis Barker
|    \_ -Solo-
|       \_ Travis Barker
| \_ By Group Member
|    \_ Travis Barker
|       \_ +44
|       \_ Blink-182
|       \_ -Solo-
Thus using this tree, if you want all of Travis Barker's appearances, regardless if they're solo or with a band. Then, using the other section of the tree, if you're looking for everything by a Blink-182 member, whether it's with the band or elsewhere, you have a way of getting that too. Plus with the sub-categorization available, you could do something like "Groups : Blink-182 ~ Travis Barker; Groups : +44 ~ Travis Barker; Instrument : Drums ~ Travis Barker", mixing information in the field to track the group as well as what instrument (or involvement) that is played by the individuals.

Post by Guest »

Thanks for all the help. Involved people looks interesting and the Magic Nodes script looks perfect. I have Magic Nodes installed but have never made my own other than copying an existing and modifying. Will see that I can do. Thanks again.

KB
JoePublic

Post by JoePublic »

Guest wrote:Thanks for all the help. Involved people looks interesting and the Magic Nodes script looks perfect. I have Magic Nodes installed but have never made my own other than copying an existing and modifying. Will see that I can do. Thanks again.
In the case you cited, you probably want to put "Beach Boys" in the Involved People field in the Brian Wilson album. And then set Involved People as a field that gets searched on when you do a search, meaning a search for Beach Boys would bring up the Brian Wilson album because of the entry in Involved People.

Another option is to use the Grouping field, assuming you're not using that field for anything else. Same thing there: put Beach Boys in Grouping for the Brian Wilson album and add Grouping to Search.