A music tagger that works?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

pxdty

A music tagger that works?

Post by pxdty »

I've tried all of the ones listed under the addons on this site, and they all come up short. Maybe I missed the thread that would tell me the one I should be using. If there is one, then I must have search for the wrong keywords 3 or 4 times.

What I mean by tagger in case that doesn't make sense? I mean where I select the album, it finds it from FreeDB or whatever server, and retags my tracks with truthful information. I remember finding one that worked a few years ago, but that was MM 3.x - I've upgraded to version 4 recently since I got back into my music collection.

Any help?

Thank you in advance, and please don't hate me if this is the 60th post. I did search before posting. :(

Best,
Doughty
rovingcowboy

Re: A music tagger that works?

Post by rovingcowboy »

I tried tag from web in mm it finds albums at amazon but i couldnt find how to get info in to song tag, or how to use free database,
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Bex

Post by Bex »

What's wrong with the default Amazon one? It does what you are asking for.
Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix Find More From Same - Custom Search. | Transfer PlayStat & Copy-Paste Tags/AlbumArt between any tracks.
Tagging Inconsistencies Do you think you have your tags in order? Think again...
Play History & Stats Node Like having your Last-FM account stored locally, but more advanced.
Case & Leading Zero Fixer Works on filenames too!

All My Scripts
pxdty

Post by pxdty »

Bex wrote:What's wrong with the default Amazon one? It does what you are asking for.
Hit or miss I guess. I listen to alot of very obscure electronic music artists, and also some obscure finger-style guitarists. I thought there used to be a source better than amazon a while ago we used to be able to tap into to? Is it gone?

If not, and nobody's made a decent one that works, I'd take a try. Ive been outta the loop for a while, what's the best database these days? Is it really Amazon?

-doughty
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I think in the end all sources have flaws, but additional options are listed here: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 77#p316877

Post by Guest »

I've yet to find an online source of tags that consistantly accurate. Even commercial mp3 downloads that are already tagged are notoriously inaccurate. I rarely download an album or rip a CD that I don't have to manually fix the tags.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

when i was checking with an Record Company to see if they were going to re release an album i have only in cassette tape format, they told me they didn't have any paper records of that album ever being made by them, even though the number on the tape was an number they used it was not found in their paper trail. so i asked why they thought that would be.? keep in mind i was emailing the ceo of Public Affairs Department at the company. but they said they had to stop at a certain year when going back in their records department because of an warehouse issue.. Meaning either fire or water damage to their files had happened due to a leaking building or one that had burned down. they said this has happened to lots of record companys but few like to admit it. also before computers they had so many mass's of files that putting them in data format is still not finished, and that goes for most old record companys. and it is even harder to complete because of little known companys were bought up by the big ones and all files were just stuffed in a warehouse and not logged in to any library system when they were bought. so that is still not completed and with the fires and bad roof's of the buildings the ones that are lost were mostly the small unknown companys.

so with all that the only way the album info online will be correct is by someone having that original album putting the info on the web for everyone.

the company i was talking with was the one that made the CMA albums, thats ( Country Music Assocation, ) or the company that bought them out. the album i have that they have no information for was made in 1976 so its not that old.
but how many others from back then or before then have been lost in their files?

the trouble with users adding the information online is that we don't know what numbers are used for what form of information by the record producers so we can't add the info up and make it automaticly go to that album each time somebody searches for it. what we need to do is be as correct as possible with everything on the album exact title of album and all tracks on the album and all time's and all people involved on that album. but you know how long that can take for one album. :( :o when each song might have 20 different people involved with it and there are 10 to 20 songs on the album.

with all that info above that is reason why i don't really like auto tagging. i'd rather type it in. and from the new android phone i have that da.... google player on there keeps getting turned on to auto sync some how? and it screws up the info from its ......up database that it uses, is just proof that i'm correct in not trusting online database's they more likely won't be correct for any album over 3 years old, and my guess is those newer ones still won't be correct for another 50 years from now.

8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.