Are "Scan continuously" and "Scan at startup" redundant?

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Coldblackice

Are "Scan continuously" and "Scan at startup" redundant?

Post by Coldblackice » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:11 pm

Is it redundant to have both of these library scan options selected? Currently, I have all of my music folders enabled with both options. I'm wondering if "Scan continuously" implies a default scan at startup, and therefore, additionally enabling "Scan at startup" would be redundant...?

Anyway, no biggie, no harm. Just curious.

dtsig

Re: Are "Scan continuously" and "Scan at startup" redundant?

Post by dtsig » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:11 pm

I would think that these are different as ..

I have 3 systems that connecto to my NAS drive(though nas drive scanning doesn't always seem to work). If i scan continuously then changes as they happen appear. But if one of my systems is shutdown ... then when it turns on it scans for all changes that have happened while it it is off. I know they *seem* to be the same but if it has been off it might not see some changes.
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:12 pm

Scan Continuously only runs when MediaMonkey is running and thus only picks up changes made while MediaMonkey is running (this depends on the file system informing about file changes). The Startup Scan just runs like a manual scan and scans all files again. If you always do any changes while MediaMonkey is running the Continuous Scan is sufficient. If you make changes while MediaMonkey is closed you'll need to enable the Startup scan or run the manual scan.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:13 pm

NAS (network location) scanning should pick up changes on the NAS if made by the same PC as where Continuous Scan is enabled. It may not do this if another PC made the changes on the NAS.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)