Auto-Organize by "Sorting Name" field?

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Winterwaves

Auto-Organize by "Sorting Name" field?

Post by Winterwaves » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:33 am

I've been playing with the Auto-Organize feature. Is there any way in MM to auto-organize by Sorting Name?

In iTunes, I had manually filled in the Sorting Name field for my tracks in order to sort artists by last name. iTunes also ignores the word "The" in front of band names, so these sort correctly. So the Artist field would have George Harrison but the Sorting Name would be Harrison, George for example, and it would sort properly. Also, if I have The Beatles as the Artist name, iTunes ignored the "The" and sorted it correctly by "B".

The problem is that Auto-Organize doesn't look at the sorting name, just the Artist name or Album Artist. So George Harrison would be sorted by first name, not last. And The Beatles would be sorted into a folder called "The Beatles," which would end up filing a ton of bands under "T" for "The." Not good.

It would be nice to have MM auto-organize my folders in Windows Exporer based upon the tags -- but it would need to be based on the Sorting Name tag, not Artist name. Any way to do that?

Lowlander

Re: Auto-Organize by "Sorting Name" field?

Post by Lowlander » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:38 am

ARTISTSORT (sorting name) isn't supported by MediaMonkey and thus can't be used in any of its features.

The can be removed with $MovePrefix(<Artist>) or $RemovePrefix(<Artist>) : http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... ormats/4.0
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:13 pm

Hmm...well, that's a really kludgy way to get rid of the "The", but unfortunately it does nothing for sorting artists by last name. MM doesn't support sorting name? Seriously?

Why can't media management apps get this right? In brick-and-mortar stores, are John Lennon CDs sorted by "J" and is there a gigantic "T" section with every "The [band name]" in it?

I just don't get it. What's so hard about that?

Arrgh...Official enhancement request, guys. Please.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:31 pm

Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

telliott

Post by telliott » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:46 pm

Why is this so hard. Seems like proper sorting has been ignored and this request has such a low priority, it's been forgotten.