This is Ridiculous -- Old files on Rescan are not removed

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

mpanwar

This is Ridiculous -- Old files on Rescan are not removed

Post by mpanwar »

Come on guys!!

I moved to MM 4.1 (bad mistake).

I re-scanned a folder that I had re-named. Say from Vocal to Vocals 's' added.

In the past a re-scan would list all old files and ask to remove them.

This is missing now.

The old files show up as Ghosted in the library.

Why????? How do u remove old files.... Why did this option disappear ?
Last edited by nohitter151 on Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to 'Need help', not a bug
nohitter151

Re: This is Ridiculous -- Old files on Rescan are not remove

Post by nohitter151 »

Options > Library > Remove unavailable items (checked)
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Darryl_Gittins

Post by Darryl_Gittins »

You could also open the "dead links" node under "Files to Edit" and then delete everything found there.
mpanwar

Post by mpanwar »

The new Media Monkey for Windows has two serious bugs in my view:

1) upon re-scan of a folder or set of folders where there may be name or path changes, Media Monkey DOES NOT always provide the option to remove missing files. In fact it seems to get stuck in a "there are background tasks .. terminate them?" if you try and close it .. eventually forcing you to close the program since it stops responding. The previous version always listed the missing files and let you remove them from the library.

2) The STUPID preview of album art is re-generated each time you come up with new ways to look at your library.

For example lets say you have a folder all tagged correctly with Genre: Punk, Artist: Clash, Album: London Calling, Year:1979

Now when you search for Genre:Punk .... it will take some time to create the Preview for your album (London Calling). Wonderful.
This is how the old MM did it too.

However, when you search on another day with say: Artist:Clash ... it will again take time to generate the preview for your album(s) .. even the ones that were indexed previously .. under Genre:Punk.

Once you have the preview for a album it should be used for all further searches for the same album like the old Media Monkey did.

Who was on your test team? Please fix these two pressing issues.
Last edited by Lowlander on Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Language
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

mpanwar wrote:The new Media Monkey for Windows has two serious bugs in my view:

1) upon re-scan of a folder or set of folders where there may be name or path changes, Media Monkey DOES NOT always provide the option to remove missing files. In fact it seems to get stuck in a "there are background tasks .. terminate them?" if you try and close it .. eventually forcing you to close the program since it stops responding. The previous version always listed the missing files and let you remove them from the library.
It still does this. I have just confirmed it with MM version 4.1.0.1693
mpanwar wrote:2) The STUPID preview of album art is re-generated each time you come up with new ways to look at your library.
Just tested but the art is there instantly if I do a genre search then an artist search for someone in that same genre.

mpanwar

Post by mpanwar »

How big is your library?

I have confirmed that the "removing missing files" does not show up when I, for example, rename a HD from say M5 to M6 and re-scan. It hangs up after re-scanning (on this instance there were 10k+ audio files). The only way to remove or the quick way to remove was to go to list view (text with pathname) and search for old M5 and delete all ghosted items.

And even though I have my MM Library and the meta data album art directory in RAM: (4GB RAM disk) and have manually gone through and laboriously scrolled through the entire library to generate album art preview, 50% of the time MM takes a while to create the album art preview when I search. If I use the media tree option it is fine. But not when I add a search item to the search box. The previous version had no such issues.

O well. Try some stress testing with a large database.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I don't think it prompts on removed hard drives. MediaMonkey treats this differently (not shown in Dead Links either) as some users use portable drives that may not always be connected. Dead Links (and the scanning prompt I presume) are only shown for files not found on connected (available) hard drives.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

mpanwar wrote:How big is your library?
For the test is was a library of about 4500.
mpanwar wrote: I have confirmed that the "removing missing files" does not show up when I, for example, rename a HD from say M5 to M6 and re-scan. It hangs up after re-scanning (on this instance there were 10k+ audio files). The only way to remove or the quick way to remove was to go to list view (text with pathname) and search for old M5 and delete all ghosted items.
As lowlander said this is intentional in order to prevent accidental removing of library files when an external hard drive is removed.

mpanwar

Post by mpanwar »

Sorry for my FRENCH 4500 ??????????????

U kidding me?

Really 4500 ...

Start with 100000 ....... audio files or say 10K folders ...

Please
tjcorreia

Post by tjcorreia »

I have the same issue. Sad that 3 years after the first report on this bug, there is still no solution.
I'm using MM 4.1.16.1836