Is there a way to "crop" a track when in a playlist

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

portfolio1

Is there a way to "crop" a track when in a playlist

Post by portfolio1 »

I want to be able to "crop" a track so that when it is used in a particular playlist it either starts after the track's actual starting point or ends before the tracks actual end point (or both). Is there an accurate (to the second) way to do that in MediaMonkey?
Lowlander

Re: Is there a way to "crop" a track when in a playlist

Post by Lowlander »

No, you can crop by defining Start and Stop time, but that is global.
portfolio1

Post by portfolio1 »

Does this mean that if I create a special "cropped" version of the track that I can use that version in a playlist? Or are you saying it is global for ALL tracks in a library? If the former how do I create a special version of the track?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It's global for the track, so wherever the the track is used it is cropped by the Start/Stop time for that track (set it in Properties).
portfolio1

Post by portfolio1 »

I copied to a a new file and the altered name and the track number from the album. I found the "start" and "stop" times and changed the "stop" time (under the DETAILS tab in Properties). That did not change length nor did it end at the stop time when I played the new track. What did I miss?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It won't change the length of the file, it is just an instruction to the player as where to start and stop. I haven't used this so I don't know if Bookmarking/Shuffle/Crossfade need to be enabled or disabled for this to work. Maybe somebody that does use this will chime in.
portfolio1

Post by portfolio1 »

Thanks Lowlander. I will see if one of those options makes a difference. I do hope someone who knows how to make this work will chime in. It seems like it should ve as straightforward as you suggested!
portfolio1

Post by portfolio1 »

Another shot at this: can you set the STOP time (and START time or length) when you RIP a track from a CD? This would let me create the "cropped" version of the track I am looking for as a new source for playback or even burning.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

No
rrfpacker

Post by rrfpacker »

portfolio1 wrote:I want to be able to "crop" a track so that when it is used in a particular playlist it either starts after the track's actual starting point or ends before the tracks actual end point (or both). Is there an accurate (to the second) way to do that in MediaMonkey?
If you want to actually modify the track, sounds like you are ok with that for some playlists, I use MPTrim. You can trim the beginning and end of a track and it's free.