Move from Portable to Full Install

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

joltman

Move from Portable to Full Install

Post by joltman »

I've been running portable on my laptop for a while, and I just got a new laptop today. I'd like to know how I can move from a portable install on old_laptop to full_install on new laptop. I've tried copying the MM.DB and Mediamonkey.ini file over. I've also added this under [SYSTEM] in the INI:

DBName=C:\Users\joltman\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey\MM.DB

When I first open MMW (4.1.1703 Gold), I get an error behind the MMW Splash Screen that says:

Unable to create directory.

I had some extensions installed on the old laptop and not yet installed on the new laptop, and I'm getting this error when I startup MMW as a Windows 8.1 Pro Admin:

There was a problem querying the database:
Don't use WriteLock after ReadLock was acquired - it's potentially dangerous. (M:\Sources\MediaMonkey\Comps\GenThread.pas, line 1462)

I can either CANCEL,RETRY or IGNORE. If I hit cancel, MMW says in the status bar "READING FILES" and that's it. It never progresses from there. All of my music is stored on a NAS at home (10.0.0.50\music). I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!
Lowlander

Re: Move from Portable to Full Install

Post by Lowlander »

Did you do a clean install? It's recommended to just copy the database over, not the ini as it has system specific settings (and in case of Portable Install, Portable Install specific settings).
joltman

Post by joltman »

It was a clean install, yes. I'll try a clean install following these instructions:

http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ticleid=54
joltman

Post by joltman »

This seems to have worked. I don't recall where I saw to copy over the Mediamonkey.INI file. But it seems good now. Thanks!

Now I just have to copy over my extensions and their settings.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Just copy over the database, not the ini as the ini will reference folders that don't exist (which is why you see the errors).