Album Artwork front cover not displaying

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Duende

Album Artwork front cover not displaying

Post by Duende »

I have a issue with how album art displays that appeared since upgrading.

​Media Monkey 4.1.0.1692
Windows 7 Professional SP1​
Most of my albums have more than the front cover artwork. They have back cover & in many case also have CD & leaflet​.​ The files are named accordingly & saved as tags using Mp3tag. The image files are also stored in the album folder.
Prior to the recent Media Monkey upgrade, the album art would always show the Front cover wherever artwork was shown. Now the central pane shows anything but the Front cover. The central pane can be set to Show Art, Show Art with details, Show art browser with details, it still shows anything but the front cover. It does not do this on all albums, some still show the front cover. The front cover is still shown correctly in the Now Playing pane.

I can get the front cover to show if I > Edit Artwork Properties > Move the Front cover image down & back up again.

I’ve hunted for any setting that may have an influence but cannot find anything.

Has anyone else experienced this? Can someone shed some light on what is causing this & what the fix is.

Thank you

[img]http:///C:/Users/Duende/Downloads/Media-Monkey-Album-Art.jpg[/img]
Lowlander

Re: Album Artwork front cover not displaying

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey will, and always has, show the first cover. Are you working in a Library (Collection or Playlist) node or the My Computer node? Also is this a problem for any new files or for files you had in the Library prior to the MediaMonkey update?
Duende

Post by Duende »

It is in all views (collection / My computer) when navigated from Media Tree or Main menu.

It applies to both old & recently added albums, but there is no apparent pattern. Some new albums show the front cover correctly, as do the majority of old albums.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

How are image names for the Artwork of affected Albums?

Post by Guest »

This is a recently added album that displays the back
The-Stranglers-Giants-Back.jpg
The-Stranglers-Giants-CD1-Front.jpg

This is an old album. The are 2 discs. Seperate folders (CD1 / CD2) Both have the same 4 images
Cafe-del-Mar-Vol.-18-Front.jpg
Cafe-del-Mar-Vol.-18-Back.jpg
Cafe-del-Mar-Vol.-18-cd1.jpg
Cafe-del-Mar-Vol.-18-cd2.jpg

CD1 shows the correct Front image. CD2 shows the CD2 image

This is an old album that that shows the back cover
Café-del-Mar-Vol-15-Back.jpg
Café-del-Mar-Vol-15-Front.jpg
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

For the stranglers I presume the addition of CD1 to front causes back to be chosen first. For Cafe del mar 18 I presume you have CD2 in the Album field, thus it choose CD2 as Artwork first. For Cafe del Mar it seems Front should've been chosen first, but as it's an old Album it may have been an old version that choose wrong.
Duende

Post by Duende »

The album naming is
Giants (Deluxe Edition) CD1
Giants (Deluxe Edition) CD2

Similar format for Cafe Del Mar

MM recognises what the images are, i.e The-Stranglers-Giants-CD1-Front.jpg is marked image type Cover (front) in artwork properties
The-Stranglers-Giants-Back.jpg is marked image type Cover (back) in artwork properties
They are shown in the correct order in artwork properties

The above applies in all cases

This is what is so puzzling. Everything appears to be correct
sixtiesstereo

Post by sixtiesstereo »

Nearly all Windows media player programs (including MM) look for folder .jpg first
for the front album cover. If you don't have it named folder.jpg then normally it looks for front.jpg
or back.jpg.
I also have many images/scans in each album's folder, but I ALWAYS name the front image as folder.jpg.
I also try to avoid using front or back in the image names. Instead of naming the back scan as back.jpg,
I'll name it something like tray.jpg. This avoids any confusion when a program like MM is doing a scan of
the library. I've been doing this for over 15 years, and never have had any problems.
In your case, having to go through every folder in your collection and renaming a single image as folder.jpg
might be a daunting task.
Duende

Post by Duende »

Understand your comments sixtiesstereo but my naming convention has worked without any problems. One of the many things I love about MM is its adaptability. But, this issue has only appeared since the upgrade. As you can see from the image it's only #1, the cental pane that shows the wrong image. The majority of albums appear to be fine (both old & recent) & yes you are right having to go through every folder in your collection and renaming a single image as folder.jpg might be a daunting task

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Like I said, the results seem to be expected based on the naming of the Artwork for the first 2 Albums. The last Album is an old one thus its wrong Artwork could have been caused by old versions of MediaMonkey.