more weirdness

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

paradive
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:24 pm

more weirdness

Post by paradive » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:09 pm

about playlists....

i added a title to a WMP-imported playlist, went and checked.......
not there.
opened it in notepad.......
not there.

but i checked with MM and it's there.

conclusion: it must keep copies of its own somewhere.

this could be frustrating.
i already have an exhaustive process of backing up my playlists.
now there's another folder of them?

can i make it edit/use the originals?

dtsig
Posts: 2955
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:34 pm

Re: more weirdness

Post by dtsig » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:19 pm

I believe you will find the answer is no. MMW can import but it will create its own lists (which i think it actually stores in the db). You can of course export if you want something else to use the same bits
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig

Lowlander
Posts: 45792
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 5:53 pm
Location: MediaMonkey 5

Re: more weirdness

Post by Lowlander » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:33 pm

MediaMonkey manages Playlists in the database. So once a Playlist has been imported it is managed in the database. The huge advantage is that when you modify where files are located that the Playlists don't become obsolete as they're updated as well.

If you need Playlists auto-exported on a regular bases you can try: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... d+playlist
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

paradive
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:24 pm

Re: more weirdness

Post by paradive » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:53 pm

so what file(s) would i save for my monthly backups?

rovingcowboy
Posts: 14153
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2003 7:57 am
Location: (Texas)
Contact:

Re: more weirdness

Post by rovingcowboy » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:41 am

The mm.db file it is a hidden one I'm not sure where because versions 3,4 save it in different places. Trixmoto made a backup script to use with mm try that.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy 5 Android 5) 6. Proscan tablet Android 4.3 ) 7. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.

paradive
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:24 pm

Re: more weirdness

Post by paradive » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:12 am

rovingcowboy wrote:The mm.db file it is a hidden one I'm not sure where because versions 3,4 save it in different places. Trixmoto made a backup script to use with mm try that.
just seems like a lot of work...
since WMP saves my playlists in with my music folder, i can back it all up in one fell swoop.

MM doesn't seem like much of a "replacement". :-?

KADEO26
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:57 am

Re: more weirdness

Post by KADEO26 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:59 am

Backup 6.0 - Updated 01/07/2014

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7746
This script is very customisable and allows you to backup MediaMonkey files to a folder or archive. It also creates a restoration script, allowing you to easily restore from the backup.

There is also an option to automatically run the backup each time MM starts up (with a user specified delay) or when MM shuts down.
Highly recommended!

8)

paradive
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:24 pm

Re: more weirdness

Post by paradive » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:08 am

KADEO26 wrote:Backup 6.0 - Updated 01/07/2014

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7746
This script is very customisable and allows you to backup MediaMonkey files to a folder or archive. It also creates a restoration script, allowing you to easily restore from the backup.

There is also an option to automatically run the backup each time MM starts up (with a user specified delay) or when MM shuts down.
Highly recommended!

8)
hmmmmmmmmmmm
but it doesn't mention where to save/store the script or how to run it.
or how to customize it.

could i make it to output to c:\music\playlists (like where WMP always has), or will it back up within MM, still screwing me up?

KADEO26
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:57 am

Re: more weirdness

Post by KADEO26 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:30 am

This is how I installed v5.8:
To install most addons other than plug-ins:

1. Download an addon from the MediaMonkey Addons site.

a. For example, Backup 5.8
b. Save as MediaMonkey_Backup_5.8.mmip in the Downloads folder

3. Double-click the downloaded .MMIP file to install the extension - MediaMonkey will be loaded

a. Product Installation dialog box - click Install Now
b. Information dialog box will display “Successfully Installed” - click OK
c. Restart MediaMonkey

4. The new functionality will be accessible - before use, in Windows, create C:\Users\username\My Audio\MediaMonkey\Backup folder

a. Click Tools>Scripts>Backup
b. The Backup interface will be presented - select options
i. Check :
 Database
 Settings
 Script files
 Skins
 Plugins
 Extensions
ii. Select Output path as C:\Users\username\My Audio\MediaMonkey\Backup
iii. Backup mode is Always create backup
iv. Check :
 Auto Backup on shutdown
 Overwrite previous backup
c. Click Backup

To uninstall a script:

1. Load MediaMonkey

a. Click Tools>Extensions
b. Highlight the required script
c. Click Uninstall

paradive
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:24 pm

Re: more weirdness

Post by paradive » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:59 am

KADEO26 wrote:This is how I installed v5.8:
To install most addons other than plug-ins:

1. Download an addon from the MediaMonkey Addons site.

a. For example, Backup 5.8
b. Save as MediaMonkey_Backup_5.8.mmip in the Downloads folder

3. Double-click the downloaded .MMIP file to install the extension - MediaMonkey will be loaded

a. Product Installation dialog box - click Install Now
b. Information dialog box will display “Successfully Installed” - click OK
c. Restart MediaMonkey

4. The new functionality will be accessible - before use, in Windows, create C:\Users\username\My Audio\MediaMonkey\Backup folder

a. Click Tools>Scripts>Backup
b. The Backup interface will be presented - select options
i. Check :
 Database
 Settings
 Script files
 Skins
 Plugins
 Extensions
ii. Select Output path as C:\Users\username\My Audio\MediaMonkey\Backup
iii. Backup mode is Always create backup
iv. Check :
 Auto Backup on shutdown
 Overwrite previous backup
c. Click Backup

To uninstall a script:

1. Load MediaMonkey

a. Click Tools>Extensions
b. Highlight the required script
c. Click Uninstall

so if i set the output as C:\music\playlists (what WMP uses)......
what kind of database would it be?
and it'd always backup on exit?

KADEO26
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:57 am

Re: more weirdness

Post by KADEO26 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:27 am

Backup will take place whenever you specify

As for database type, refer to Trixmoto

MMFrLife
Posts: 2774
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:04 pm

Re: more weirdness

Post by MMFrLife » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:09 am

rovingcowboy wrote:The mm.db file it is a hidden one I'm not sure where because versions 3,4 save it in different places. Trixmoto made a backup script to use with mm try that.
You meant hidden in a relative sense, like, "I just can't find it".
But the .DB file is not hidden from view by default in 4.x or 3.x

MediaMonkey 4.x:
o Windows 8 / 7 / Vista:
C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey\MM.DB
C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey\MediaMonkey.ini
C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey\MetadataCache\

o Portable Mode:
In the 'Portable' subdirectory of the location to which MediaMonkey was installed. e.g.
PortableDrive:\MediaMonkey\Portable\MM.DB
PortableDrive:\MediaMonkey\Portable\MediaMonkey.ini
PortableDrive:\MediaMonkey\Portable\MetadataCache\

o Windows XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Application Data\MediaMonkey\MM.DB
C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Application Data\MediaMonkey\MediaMonkey.ini
C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Application Data\MediaMonkey\MetadataCache

MediaMonkey 3.x:
o Windows XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Local Settings\Application Data\MediaMonkey\MM.DB
C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Local Settings\Application Data\MediaMonkey\MediaMonkey.ini
MM user since 2003 (lifetime since 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
track properties; dir/fn mask configurations; check out ZvezdanD's scripts
MMW 4.1.18.1842b; fav scripts > RegExp Find & Replace 5.1.0; Magic Nodes 5.1.0; Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix 3.8.2;
Backup 6.0; Clear Now Playing Button 1.2
...always back it up, especially before doing anything major!!!
Win. explorer alt. for power users [free]; great file/folder renamer [used by nasa]

KADEO26
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:57 am

Re: more weirdness

Post by KADEO26 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:08 pm

I have just updated Backup to V6 and note that the new version contains an option to include "Export M3Us" (save all playlists as M3U files)!

paradive
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:24 pm

Re: more weirdness

Post by paradive » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:23 pm

KADEO26 wrote:I have just updated Backup to V6 and note that the new version contains an option to include "Export M3Us" (save all playlists as M3U files)!
do you have the option of setting them where to save to?
is there a .wpl option?

KADEO26
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:57 am

Re: more weirdness

Post by KADEO26 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:12 pm

paradive wrote:
KADEO26 wrote:I have just updated Backup to V6 and note that the new version contains an option to include "Export M3Us" (save all playlists as M3U files)!
do you have the option of setting them where to save to?
Yes
paradive wrote:[is there a .wpl option?
No ..... WMP will read M3U files and convert them to WPL, if requested

Post Reply