Page 3 of 3

Re: more weirdness

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:05 pm
by rovingcowboy
paradive wrote: well, the backup script is still hanging...

so what's the easiest way to backup my custom playlists?
if anything else, should i just copy/paste the mm.db file every month?
where is it?
its a hidden file just search for the mm.db file and tell windows search to look in the hidden files also.

that is what i did for a long time was just back up the mm.db file but i use the karens replicator now and just back up the whole c drive to the usb hard drive i have. makes it even eaiser that way and i know i got them backed up too. plus it is easier to use if i have to change hard drives i just install mm and then copy the backed up folder and folder the mm.db file is in then all is normal again. :D

Re: more weirdness

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:58 pm
by paradive
rovingcowboy wrote:
paradive wrote: well, the backup script is still hanging...

so what's the easiest way to backup my custom playlists?
if anything else, should i just copy/paste the mm.db file every month?
where is it?
its a hidden file just search for the mm.db file and tell windows search to look in the hidden files also.

that is what i did for a long time was just back up the mm.db file but i use the karens replicator now and just back up the whole c drive to the usb hard drive i have. makes it even eaiser that way and i know i got them backed up too. plus it is easier to use if i have to change hard drives i just install mm and then copy the backed up folder and folder the mm.db file is in then all is normal again. :D
hmmmmmmmmmmm

so for simplicity's sake, should i just regularly backup whatever folder mm.db is in?

Re: more weirdness

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:33 pm
by Monkey hi fi
If'in you want to.
rovingcowboy/keith hall/monkey hi fi

Re: more weirdness

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:53 am
by Lowlander
I use Karen's Replicator to backup the database folder (I use a custom folder).

Re: more weirdness

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:17 am
by paradive
Lowlander wrote:I use Karen's Replicator to backup the database folder (I use a custom folder).
and what's the link to that?

Re: more weirdness

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:12 am
by nohitter151
paradive wrote:
Lowlander wrote:I use Karen's Replicator to backup the database folder (I use a custom folder).
and what's the link to that?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Karen%27s+Replicator

Re: more weirdness

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:26 pm
by paradive
nohitter151 wrote:
paradive wrote:
Lowlander wrote:I use Karen's Replicator to backup the database folder (I use a custom folder).
and what's the link to that?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Karen%27s+Replicator
hmmmmmm
seems it'd be just as easy to copy/paste the mm.db file to my monthly backup.

Re: more weirdness

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:08 pm
by MMFrLife
That's essentially what I've been talking about all along, Willis :wink:
(that's a "Diff'rent Strokes" reference).

Re: more weirdness

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:11 pm
by nohitter151
paradive wrote:
hmmmmmm
seems it'd be just as easy to copy/paste the mm.db file to my monthly backup.
Or, like I previously posted, just install MM as portable to your music folder. Then it will backup with your music without any extra effort.

Re: more weirdness

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:17 pm
by MMFrLife
Yes, Nohitter!!! That is "close" to what I do. Portable, then I just manually copy over the whole MM folder to backup and date it.
.....so I can easily backtrack to any endpoint I want in case of an emergency.

Re: more weirdness

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:33 pm
by paradive
nohitter151 wrote:
paradive wrote:
hmmmmmm
seems it'd be just as easy to copy/paste the mm.db file to my monthly backup.
Or, like I previously posted, just install MM as portable to your music folder. Then it will backup with your music without any extra effort.
considered this.
what does a "portable" install mean precisely?

Re: more weirdness

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:51 pm
by MMFrLife
They are primarily promoted for using programs on detachable media like USB flash drives, etc.
so you can run them without having to "install" (a true install) them to your OS and can take them around anywhere and use on most computers.

Many people use them on their desktop as a way of keeping their OS/registry clean, ability to copy it off and run it elsewhere, for less system conflict,
ease in backup manipulation, etc.

You just install latest MM and look for portable mode to check, then install where you want.

The difference when upgrading is you can just download/install latest to system, then delete new ".DB file", and also.ini file (if you want),
and insert (recopy) your backedup ones into same location. You can just find the periodically backedup files whenever you need to update.

Be careful to note: insert the new .DB and .ini files "BEFORE" you actually launch a new version. This will allow proper updating of the old .DB structure/problems
from the new version.

In your case now, you would be getting your MM.DB file from your current MM. But in the future, you would also have option of using the
last monthly backup file if something were to happen.

Re: more weirdness

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:15 pm
by paradive
MMFrLife wrote:They are primarily promoted for using programs on detachable media like USB flash drives, etc.
so you can run them without having to "install" (a true install) them to your OS and can take them around anywhere and use on most computers.

Many people use them on their desktop as a way of keeping their OS/registry clean, ability to copy it off and run it elsewhere, for less system conflict,
ease in backup manipulation, etc.

You just install latest MM and look for portable mode to check, then install where you want.

The difference when upgrading is you can just download/install latest to system, then delete new ".DB file" and .ini file (if you want)
and insert (recopy) your backedup ones into same location. You can just find the periodically backedup files whenever you need to update.

Be careful to note: insert the new .DB and .ini files "BEFORE" you actually launch a new version. This will allow proper updating of the old .DB structure/problems
from the new version.

In your case now, you would be getting your MM.DB file from your current MM. But in the future, you can use the last monthly backup file if something were to happen.
ok. so........
i'll be fresh-installing MM to a new laptop in a few weeks.

1. do a portable install (but, it not mucking up the registry, can it still be set to "auto-play" and whatnot?)
2. what ".ini" file?
3. back it and mm.db whenever upgrading then put them back afterwards.

that about it?

i'll try a normal fresh install first and see how everything works; if i still have problems, i'll go portable.

Re: more weirdness

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:29 pm
by MMFrLife
1. I think so, but I don't typically use it for CDs. You might want someone else to jump in on that.

2. MediaMonkey.ini file in same location as MM.DB. It contains some program settings.
The single most important thing is the MM.DB .

3. Just follow instructions, especially about "BE CAREFUL NOTE"

If you do a fresh test install of portable now, you can't just copy that one over to a new computer.

My advice, since you just recently started with MM, is to do a test just to play around to see how it works.
Then wait a month or so 'til you get a new system and just start everything new again. In other words: new install, fresh scan of library, fresh settings, etc.

......otherwise you are gonna have to do this http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... w_computer
- the stuff on "point to a new database"

...and since you've been frustrated and struggling with it all a lot lately, I believe you would save yourself a lot of stress.