Page 1 of 3

more weirdness

Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:09 pm
by paradive
about playlists....

i added a title to a WMP-imported playlist, went and checked.......
not there.
opened it in notepad.......
not there.

but i checked with MM and it's there.

conclusion: it must keep copies of its own somewhere.

this could be frustrating.
i already have an exhaustive process of backing up my playlists.
now there's another folder of them?

can i make it edit/use the originals?

Re: more weirdness

Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:19 pm
by dtsig
I believe you will find the answer is no. MMW can import but it will create its own lists (which i think it actually stores in the db). You can of course export if you want something else to use the same bits

Re: more weirdness

Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:33 pm
by Lowlander
MediaMonkey manages Playlists in the database. So once a Playlist has been imported it is managed in the database. The huge advantage is that when you modify where files are located that the Playlists don't become obsolete as they're updated as well.

If you need Playlists auto-exported on a regular bases you can try: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... d+playlist

Re: more weirdness

Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:53 pm
by paradive
so what file(s) would i save for my monthly backups?

Re: more weirdness

Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:41 am
by rovingcowboy
The mm.db file it is a hidden one I'm not sure where because versions 3,4 save it in different places. Trixmoto made a backup script to use with mm try that.

Re: more weirdness

Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:12 am
by paradive
rovingcowboy wrote:The mm.db file it is a hidden one I'm not sure where because versions 3,4 save it in different places. Trixmoto made a backup script to use with mm try that.
just seems like a lot of work...
since WMP saves my playlists in with my music folder, i can back it all up in one fell swoop.

MM doesn't seem like much of a "replacement". :-?

Re: more weirdness

Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:59 am
by KADEO26
Backup 6.0 - Updated 01/07/2014

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7746
This script is very customisable and allows you to backup MediaMonkey files to a folder or archive. It also creates a restoration script, allowing you to easily restore from the backup.

There is also an option to automatically run the backup each time MM starts up (with a user specified delay) or when MM shuts down.
Highly recommended!

8)

Re: more weirdness

Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:08 am
by paradive
KADEO26 wrote:Backup 6.0 - Updated 01/07/2014

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7746
This script is very customisable and allows you to backup MediaMonkey files to a folder or archive. It also creates a restoration script, allowing you to easily restore from the backup.

There is also an option to automatically run the backup each time MM starts up (with a user specified delay) or when MM shuts down.
Highly recommended!

8)
hmmmmmmmmmmm
but it doesn't mention where to save/store the script or how to run it.
or how to customize it.

could i make it to output to c:\music\playlists (like where WMP always has), or will it back up within MM, still screwing me up?

Re: more weirdness

Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:30 am
by KADEO26
This is how I installed v5.8:
To install most addons other than plug-ins:

1. Download an addon from the MediaMonkey Addons site.

a. For example, Backup 5.8
b. Save as MediaMonkey_Backup_5.8.mmip in the Downloads folder

3. Double-click the downloaded .MMIP file to install the extension - MediaMonkey will be loaded

a. Product Installation dialog box - click Install Now
b. Information dialog box will display “Successfully Installed” - click OK
c. Restart MediaMonkey

4. The new functionality will be accessible - before use, in Windows, create C:\Users\username\My Audio\MediaMonkey\Backup folder

a. Click Tools>Scripts>Backup
b. The Backup interface will be presented - select options
i. Check :
 Database
 Settings
 Script files
 Skins
 Plugins
 Extensions
ii. Select Output path as C:\Users\username\My Audio\MediaMonkey\Backup
iii. Backup mode is Always create backup
iv. Check :
 Auto Backup on shutdown
 Overwrite previous backup
c. Click Backup

To uninstall a script:

1. Load MediaMonkey

a. Click Tools>Extensions
b. Highlight the required script
c. Click Uninstall

Re: more weirdness

Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:59 am
by paradive
KADEO26 wrote:This is how I installed v5.8:
To install most addons other than plug-ins:

1. Download an addon from the MediaMonkey Addons site.

a. For example, Backup 5.8
b. Save as MediaMonkey_Backup_5.8.mmip in the Downloads folder

3. Double-click the downloaded .MMIP file to install the extension - MediaMonkey will be loaded

a. Product Installation dialog box - click Install Now
b. Information dialog box will display “Successfully Installed” - click OK
c. Restart MediaMonkey

4. The new functionality will be accessible - before use, in Windows, create C:\Users\username\My Audio\MediaMonkey\Backup folder

a. Click Tools>Scripts>Backup
b. The Backup interface will be presented - select options
i. Check :
 Database
 Settings
 Script files
 Skins
 Plugins
 Extensions
ii. Select Output path as C:\Users\username\My Audio\MediaMonkey\Backup
iii. Backup mode is Always create backup
iv. Check :
 Auto Backup on shutdown
 Overwrite previous backup
c. Click Backup

To uninstall a script:

1. Load MediaMonkey

a. Click Tools>Extensions
b. Highlight the required script
c. Click Uninstall

so if i set the output as C:\music\playlists (what WMP uses)......
what kind of database would it be?
and it'd always backup on exit?

Re: more weirdness

Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:27 am
by KADEO26
Backup will take place whenever you specify

As for database type, refer to Trixmoto

Re: more weirdness

Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:09 am
by MMFrLife
rovingcowboy wrote:The mm.db file it is a hidden one I'm not sure where because versions 3,4 save it in different places. Trixmoto made a backup script to use with mm try that.
You meant hidden in a relative sense, like, "I just can't find it".
But the .DB file is not hidden from view by default in 4.x or 3.x

MediaMonkey 4.x:
o Windows 8 / 7 / Vista:
C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey\MM.DB
C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey\MediaMonkey.ini
C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey\MetadataCache\

o Portable Mode:
In the 'Portable' subdirectory of the location to which MediaMonkey was installed. e.g.
PortableDrive:\MediaMonkey\Portable\MM.DB
PortableDrive:\MediaMonkey\Portable\MediaMonkey.ini
PortableDrive:\MediaMonkey\Portable\MetadataCache\

o Windows XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Application Data\MediaMonkey\MM.DB
C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Application Data\MediaMonkey\MediaMonkey.ini
C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Application Data\MediaMonkey\MetadataCache

MediaMonkey 3.x:
o Windows XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Local Settings\Application Data\MediaMonkey\MM.DB
C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Local Settings\Application Data\MediaMonkey\MediaMonkey.ini

Re: more weirdness

Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:08 pm
by KADEO26
I have just updated Backup to V6 and note that the new version contains an option to include "Export M3Us" (save all playlists as M3U files)!

Re: more weirdness

Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:23 pm
by paradive
KADEO26 wrote:I have just updated Backup to V6 and note that the new version contains an option to include "Export M3Us" (save all playlists as M3U files)!
do you have the option of setting them where to save to?
is there a .wpl option?

Re: more weirdness

Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:12 pm
by KADEO26
paradive wrote:
KADEO26 wrote:I have just updated Backup to V6 and note that the new version contains an option to include "Export M3Us" (save all playlists as M3U files)!
do you have the option of setting them where to save to?
Yes
paradive wrote:[is there a .wpl option?
No ..... WMP will read M3U files and convert them to WPL, if requested