Changing Score

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Fer

Changing Score

Post by Fer »

Hi, I'm a happy MM Gold user for many years right now. I already had a huge collection of at about 11.000 wma-files (186 GB). Recently I added 95.000 mp3 (752 GB) files from a friend. I previously had scored all my own musicfiles with the star-ratings. Works great. Only some of the files from my friend had a star-score. I have tried to change all his scores to "0" or "unknown" so that I could give them my own score. Unfortunally some scores hadn't changed and kept staying on (for example) "5-stars". I have tried a lot to change that but it hasn't work out. It look as if I haven't the right to change the rating. As I select a album I can change the rating but when I close the album and then re-open it, the ratings are gone. It is very important for me to change the rating because I have so much music and by using the scores I can select the music I want to hear. Does anyone know the solution ? The problem only appears at the mp3 files I copied from my friend.
MMFrLife

Re: Changing Score

Post by MMFrLife »

Are you having any trouble changing any other fields?
Are you trying to change them individually or in batch through properties?

What version are you working with?
I recommend updating to http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 1&start=15
regardless of current issue.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Are you working in the Library or in the My Computer node?
Fer

Post by Fer »

Hi, thans for replying. Yes I did the last upgrade and restarted the PC but that didn't work out. And, indeed, other fields don't work too. I tried to change "genre" and I lost that input too. I do not know in what node (mode) I work, "Computer" or "Library". I guess in "Library", because changing the scores I do in the MediaMonkey program and not in the "Microsoft" mode. As I mentioned before, it looks as if I don't have "rights" to change. The guy I copied from uses Windows Media Player. Could that cause a problem ?
Fer

Post by Fer »

Extra information: I still can change my own files and they stay changed. So I think the problem could be in information in the files I got from my friend. It looks as if they are locked so that I can not change the, In a number of files I could delete the scores but I can not give them a new score that will be kept remembered. When I adjust scores MediaMonkey does change them but when I switch to another folder and then when I switch bach the changes are gone. :(
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Fer wrote:I do not know in what node (mode) I work, "Computer" or "Library". I guess in "Library", because changing the scores I do in the MediaMonkey program and not in the "Microsoft" mode
You can do both library and My Computer inside MM. Try removing something from the library then rating it under My Computer > click something else > click back >
if it stays, scan back to library > if it appears correctly, restart MM and recheck appearance of rating.

Where did your friend get the files? ......CD rips, iTune conversions?
Fer wrote:The guy I copied from uses Windows Media Player. Could that cause a problem ?
It shouldn't.

A possibility is to reconvert them to same specs (after testing on one or two first).
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
😜
Fer

Post by Fer »

Update. I haven't had the opportunity to speak to my friend. But I tried out some things. I want to tell too that for my music I use a external HDD Samsung 2TB. In fact I think it works OK but I do think that when I don't use it for a little time it looks that it goes to the sleeping-mode. When I click on something I hear the HDD make some noise.

There are 2 things that are interesting:
1. When I change items and click to another folder and back to the folder with the changed items, I don't see them anymore. But when I select all numbers in the folders and right-click on the mouse and then click on "properties" the changed items do appear :D
2. When I copy the folder with the problem to the C-disc of the computer and I do change scores there, it works perfect :D :D

So, it looks as if it could be related to the use of this external HDD or, I have reached the maximum of MediaMonkey ????

It can also be that I have to change a setting in MM, but I don't know which one.

Any suggestions please ?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

There is no maximum.

You can capture a debug log (step 4b) and send the log to support for developer analysis: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

How old is the external and does it make noises all the time? A little spin up noise can be normal unless it's fairly noticeable
or loud. Usually when HDDs fail the noise is consistent, often involves "clicking" sounds and overall performance slows down
(writing, transfer, etc).

Also, people often forget to turn them off when they turn computer off.

And as Lowlander said, there is no maximum. Some people's collections are in the millions.
😜
Fer

Post by Fer »

Hi MMFrLife, you previous suggested "A possibility is to reconvert them to same specs (after testing on one or two first)."
I did try that and that works ! ! Thanks !
You could say, well that problem is solved now, but to change all files this way I will be busy for a week or so :(
The problem looks now, that I am not the owner of the files or something, is that easy to change ?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Fer wrote:Hi MMFrLife, you previous suggested "A possibility is to reconvert them to same specs (after testing on one or two first)."
I did try that and that works ! ! Thanks !
You could say, well that problem is solved now, but to change all files this way I will be busy for a week or so :(
The problem looks now, that I am not the owner of the files or something, is that easy to change ?
see: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 53659.aspx

Also works in Windows 8
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Fer wrote:You could say, well that problem is solved now, but to change all files this way I will be busy for a week or so :(
uh, Ithink it would be more than a week or two. If you batch converted roughly 3,064 a day, you're looking at about a month.
You can try the take ownership thing. But if it is some sort of a DRM residue issue, that won't work.
If you can't find another solution I will offer strategy on batch method, but it will only make it a little bit more manageable (nothing spectacular).
😜
Fer

Post by Fer »

Hi MMFrLife, I tried changing the ownership of the files but that didn't work as well. Then I realised something. The files I got had been copied on a external HDD. I have copied them to another external HDD. So they haven't been on my "C-drive". I now have copie/pasted some of the "problem-files" to a map on the "C-disc" so that my PC can give them a tag that they are known on my PC (I guess). Then I copy/pasted them to the external HDD again. And now I can change all items and the program works as good as always !
So what I have to do now is to drag all files in groups to my C and then drag them back. That would be 1 or 2 evenings of work I think. I will let you know soon if this works good. :wink:
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Fer wrote:Then I realised something. The files I got had been copied on a external HDD. I have copied them to another external HDD. So they haven't been on my "C-drive". I now have copie/pasted some of the "problem-files" to a map on the "C-disc" so that my PC can give them a tag that they are known on my PC (I guess). Then I copy/pasted them to the external HDD again. And now I can change all items and the program works as good as always !
That's pretty weird sounding. Unless it's a DRM thing and it serialized the files to a specific hdd. Anyhoo sounds cuckoo! :-?
Fer wrote:So what I have to do now is to drag all files in groups to my C and then drag them back. That would be 1 or 2 evenings of work I think. I will let you know soon if this works good. :wink:
Good grief, Charlie Brown! But hey, it beats batch reconverting 95,000 any day. :wink:
I just hope you don't have to do something like that again on another drive/new computer situation in the future.
😜