Frustrated in evaluating Mediamonkey

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

deepskydiver

Frustrated in evaluating Mediamonkey

Post by deepskydiver »

I'm looking for an alternative to iTunes. I'm moving away from Apple to Android though I still have an old ipod with buttons I'd like to keep.

But so far I'm at the point of uninstalling mediamonkey for two reasons:

1. I can't even drag a song into it to add to the library, which is my first sanity test to usability. It's fallen at the first hurdle.
2. I don't know where the library is kept so I can move it back it up independently. It looks like this might implicitly be part of auto organise. But this feature isn't available until I buy it. I've been burned a lot before on paying licences and finding out the result isn't what you expect. I'm not game to point it at my iTunes library for fear it will modify it, or duplicate it somewhere.

So.. seems it works differently to how I expect or doesn't do what I want, and I can't confirm without buying it an spending a lot of time.
What other omissions are there which might bring me unstuck?
Aff

Re: Frustrated in evaluating Mediamonkey

Post by Aff »

1.: Drag the file over to Music in the Media Tree.
I never use this myself, because my files are located at defined places from the beginning, so MM finds and includes them automatically.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

You can open the files you want to move under My Computer within MediaMonkey.
After the File List (center area) is populated with them, you can drag the ones you want from the file list
to the library via the location node of Entire Library.

A black block/disallow symbol will appear as you are dragging them.
This will disappear once you hover over the desired location to drop.
deepskydiver wrote:2. I don't know where the library is kept so I can move it back it up independently. It looks like this might implicitly be part of auto organise.
It's just an organizational tool, it's not part of the library. However, it can be used to auto-organize files into the library.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

and for backup don't manually copy (that's like dos 1.0 :) )
Instead look for Backup 6.0 ( here ) in the addons (i think under maintenance or such). It can back up when you shut down or manually do it. I creates a script to reinstall the registry bits.

As for moving files, I have 4 drives (with folders for everything). These are set to continuously scan (under tools/options/Library then FileMonitor button). Then all i do is d&d a file/folder to one of those locations and MMW automatically reads it in and reads all tag that are there. Pretty sweet.

If these are your two big concerns and your first post seems like things are really going pretty well
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig