Can files be automatically moved from a "new" folder?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

katy

Can files be automatically moved from a "new" folder?

Post by katy »

This is, I hope, a very basic question. I have a large library which was a huge mess. I've been gradually getting it straight using MusicBrainz Picard (for tags) and then MediaMonkey.i don't want MM to scan my whole collection every timeI open it since it takes hours to get through it all. If I create a folder for "New Tracks" will MM actuallymove the new tracks to where they belong in the library ( under the correct Artist/Album) or does it just catalog them in the data base from the folder they're in? I want to reduce the amount of reading and rewriting to the database as much as I can but I'm not sure how the program works. I've been using Picard to move them after doing tags, etc. but would rather be able to skip that step with new properly tagged tracks.
MMFrLife

Re: Can files be automatically moved from a "new" folder?

Post by MMFrLife »

Scanning simply adds them to the library from wherever they already are.
You don't have to always scan the entire library. You can select folders from the tree to right-click > add/rescan.

Anything that is already in MM and is moved "inside" of MM will be moved on the computer and in the library.

You can automatically move new folders and files by using auto-organize:

To auto-organize manually - select files > right click > auto-organize files.
To auto-organize automatically (set it up once and leave it) - options > library > auto-organize > input criteria
> check automatically organize files.....

Examples of simple and complex masks:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... nize_Files

If you are not familiar with auto-org., play around with the manual way first.
Create a test folder somewhere > select some files (as stated above for manual) > check copy option in auto-org. > create a simple mask >
copy 3 - 5 files to "test " folder > check test folder for accuracy > delete contents of test folder and repeat with same or any
other mask until you get the hang of it.

When ready, remove test folder from mask(s) and check "move" option.

If you use tag fields, make sure they are correct.
[ex. if you have a 10 track album and one of the tracks album field is misspelled, that one track will
end up in its own folder.]
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜