Asustor NAS changes MediaMonkey file names

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

David Hawkins

Asustor NAS changes MediaMonkey file names

Post by David Hawkins »

I installed an Asustor as5002t NAS this week. I set up a "z" drive on the NAS to store my music. All my music files were copied to the NAS, and I ran a script to update MediaMonkey to the new network drive location. Everything worked fine for 24 hours. The next day I opened MM on my computer and ALL the file paths were changed from Z:\\My Music\etc. to [music]\My Music\etc.

On the Asustor I have SoundsGood and Kodi, both of which are able to play audio files stored on the NAS. Apparently, when I use one of those programs (and maybe any program on the NAS) to play music in the TV room, it changes the path name in MM on my Windows XP computer. EVERY file is no unreadable until I go back and re-add it from the NAS, not something I want to do everyday. Any ideas on how to stop the name change from happening?
Lowlander

Re: Asustor NAS changes MediaMonkey file names

Post by Lowlander »

You should use the UNC Path (\\NASName\folder\) instead of a mapped drive as Windows sometimes changes the driveID on mapped drives when it shouldn't.
GibsonXXI

Post by GibsonXXI »

I wouldn't do either.

MediaMonkey has serious issues regarding latency when tagging or editing files existing on remote shares, and always has done. If you attempt to edit tags on files stored on remote paths or make any changes, MediaMonkey may fail on one or more tracks in any given album, and you'll end up with zero-byte files containing just the ID3 tag, and nothing else. Witnessed this personally on many an occasion throughout MM3 and MM4. This issue will be compounded if the remote share uses specific permissions for certain shares / folders.

Have your music in a local folder on a local disk for tagging purposes, and sync the changes to the NAS once your done. It's just a whole lot safer this way, especially where MM is concerned.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

No issues tagging on the network here.

If you have this issue with MediaMonkey 4.1.8 you should capture this in a debug log (step 4b) and send it to support: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69