Mediamonkey does not use correct ini file

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

TheAncient
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:13 pm

Mediamonkey does not use correct ini file

Post by TheAncient » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:19 am

Hi there,
I run MediaMonkey on one of several machines and usually start it via a shortcut that specifies the location of the ini file eg.: "C:\Program Files (x86)\MediaMonkey\MediaMonkey.exe" /INIFILE="M:\Music\Ini-files & Databases\MediaMonkey_Common.ini".
Recently, I noticed that MediaMonkey no longer appears to use this ini file i.e.
- I start MediaMonkey from one machine and make a change such as changing the media tree
- I exit MediaMonkey (which "should" save my change in the ini file)
- I start MediaMonkey on a different machine - but my change is not reflected here

QUESTION: Is there a way of verifying from inside MediaMonkey, which .ini file MediaMonkey is using?

The above way of operating used to work fine for years: The "M" drive (which contains the ini file, the database, and the data) used to reside on one "regular" computer.
I recently moved it to a share on my NAS (and, of course, re-mapped the "M" drive on all on computers) but this "should" not have changed anything.
Perusing the MediaMonkey forum, I found a number of threads dealing with problems relating to MediaMonkey components located on NAS drives.
So my problem might be due to "something" on my end (i.e. the move to a NAS) or something on the MediaMonkey program side such as the issues discussed at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =1&t=80945

Any suggestions how to resolve this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Systems involved in this problem: Two machines running Windows 8.1 pro - 64bit with all updates applied (I have not yet checked my Windows 7 machines)

Lowlander
Posts: 45925
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 5:53 pm
Location: MediaMonkey 5

Re: Mediamonkey does not use correct ini file

Post by Lowlander » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:09 pm

I'd start with making sure the ini Path is valid and accessible and that MediaMonkey has rights to modify it.

You can also do search for MediaMonkey.ini (include hidden files in search) to see if you can find which ini is being modified. Do note a proper close of MediaMonkey is required to get ini changes saved. Are you also sharing the DB?
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

TheAncient
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:13 pm

Re: Mediamonkey does not use correct ini file

Post by TheAncient » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:27 pm

Yes, the path is valid and accessible, and mapped to drive letter "M" on all machines.
You asked me to search for .ini files - There is a (common) .ini file on the network drive plus a (default) .ini file on each computer.
(The default .ini file gets created when MediaMonkey gets installed - and I don't "monkey" with that - instead I explicitly ask it to start, using the common .ini file as described in my original post)
Technically I do share the the database - i.e. it is accessible from each computer. But I make sure that MediaMonkey only runs on one single computer at any given time.
(The reason I work this way: I usually listen to music in the family room or the living room but when I maintain the database (add new songs, etc.) I do that from my office where I can work on a desk)

Lowlander
Posts: 45925
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 5:53 pm
Location: MediaMonkey 5

Re: Mediamonkey does not use correct ini file

Post by Lowlander » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:59 pm

When you searched for the ini files you should see with the Date Modified which one is being used.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

TheAncient
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:13 pm

Re: Mediamonkey does not use correct ini file

Post by TheAncient » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:17 pm

Now I'm really stumped: on machine 1 it appears to be using the common ini file on the NAS
but on machine 2 it appears to use the local ini file.
I renamed the local .ini file to .ini.old and when I re-opened MediaMonkey, it treated me as a new user i.e. I had to specify the location of my music and it then started re-scanning my music files. It also created a new local .ini file
It's almost as if it ignores the /INIFILE parameter completely.
I think I'll give this a rest for now and try again in a few days.

Post Reply