Multi artist tag over-written in mp3

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

emanon

Multi artist tag over-written in mp3

Post by emanon » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:08 pm

I use the semi-colon separator in the Artist(s) field. When updating another tag field, MM re-writes the ; to / in the file header.

So, if I have Fat Boy Slim; Santos (which was done with MM) and then change a field such as Original Date, on save I get Fat Boy Slim/Santos written to the tag even though I haven't altered that field. In the Library, though, MM continues to display Fat Boy Slim; Santos

It seems that doesn't throw out the separation in MM, but it does in other programs that I use which, previously, had individual TPE1 entries for each artist on the track but now have only one - which they dutifully display as Fat Boy Slim/Santos.

The issues here are:

1. MM has changed a tag without my asking it do that.

2. The knock on effects in other programs with track sorting per artist.

3. MM changes the tag but then doesn't even display the unrequested change as written in the tag.

So I ask the question: Is this an over zealous application of the id3 standard or a bug? Either way it's annoying as I wound up with hundreds of these when mass editing, and it's seriously compromised my faith in MM as my primary editor.

This only affects id3 based tags (so not vorbis).

MediaMonkey version: 4.1.8.1751

Lowlander

Re: Multi artist tag over-written in mp3

Post by Lowlander » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:24 am

The display separator is not what MediaMonkey writes to the tags. The separator used in the tags depends on the tagging standard used. So it is a correct implementation of the tagging standards.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

oeyoeve

Post by oeyoeve » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:04 am

Lowlander wrote:The display separator is not what MediaMonkey writes to the tags. The separator used in the tags depends on the tagging standard used. So it is a correct implementation of the tagging standards.
Are you saying that the correct implementation of the standard is to separate AC/DC into two bands, one named AC and the other named DC?

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:58 am

No, AC/DC is stored as a single Artist in the tags. How it is stored depends on the tagging standard (MP3 and FLAC for example use a different standard).
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)