Which fields can be used for auto-organize-files?

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

DC

Which fields can be used for auto-organize-files?

Post by DC » Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:08 pm

Frequently I have files with one artist featuring another one and the artist tag would then be something like "artist1 feat. artist2". This is fine for the filename but is bad for the database since I have several entries "artist1 feat. x", "artist1 feat. y", "artist1 feat. z" in the artist node. To overcome this problem I began to use only the main artist for the artist tag and put the featured artist into the involved-people tag. This leaves my artist list nice and clean. However, this approach hurts the auto-organize-files function: the featured artist would not appear in the filename.

Can I use tag fields like involved-people also in auto-organize files? I haven't found out how. If it isn't possible I guess I could put the info in one of the custom fields which can be used with auto-organize but the involved-people field seems to fit so much better. After this I still have a problem with tracks which have no clear main artist, e.g. duets. Ideally I could file those tracks under both artists but that is probably not possible.

DC

Post by DC » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:54 pm

Nobody? There does not seem to be a list of possible fields - except if the only fields available are those displayed in the auto-organize dialog (on a toolbar). I suppose there is no severe reason not to be able to use other fields as well, e.g. what about

Comment
Rating
Tempo
Mood
Occasion
Quality

and last not least

Involved People

which would allow me to do this:

<Artist><$if(<Involved People>,feat. <Involved People>,) - <Title>

The purpose of this is that I would not have several Artist nodes like this:

ArtistX
ArtistX feat A
ArtistX feat B
ArtistX feat C
ArtistX feat D

Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:00 pm

You could use any of the 3 custom fields for other artists, or even the comments field.

Your best bet tho, is to move the 'feat. artist' text to the track title instead of the artist.

ie

Goodies (feat. Petey Pablo) - Ciara

Would it be great for a 'featured' artist tag? yeah, then you could separate the data and format it consistently.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:36 pm

The inclusion of all fields in auto-tag, auto-organize, auto-playlists, tracklistings etc. has been requested. Actually it has been on the wishlist for many versions now. Besides comments the other fields shouldn't be a huge problem. The problem with comments is that it's a multiline field. You can read more about this by searching the forum.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)