Can you change the location of MediaMonkey.ini?

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

tbessie

Can you change the location of MediaMonkey.ini?

Post by tbessie » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:59 am

I've seen how to change the location of the mediamonkey database, but is there a way to change where ALL MediaMonkey support files and folders are located? That is, move EVERYTHING that is usually in My Music\MediaMonkey to somewhere else?

- Tim

Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:02 am

You can move the mediamonkey.ini to the mediamonkey folder (\program files\mediamonkey) but apparently its not possible to change the location of the mediamonkey.m3u playlist.

Well sorta, you can use tweakui to change the "My Music" folder to the root of your main music folder, or theoreticaly even change it to the mediamonkey folder (of course then all programs that use "my music" will then default to the location you set it to.

tbessie

Thanks!

Post by tbessie » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:18 am

Oh well -- I was hoping to escape from the Microsoft hierarchy of folders, and rather just modify the registry to point to wherever I wanted it.

T'would be nice if, when you ran MediaMonkey, you could change the base folder for everything, and it would, say, move everything, then shurt down and restart with the new settings, for example.

Not that important, I just hate using My Documents for ANYTHING (I'm an old Unix guy... hey, I want things where *I* want 'em! :-)

- Tim

onkel_enno

Post by onkel_enno » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:44 am

You could completely move your My-Music-Folder (HKCU\Software\MS\Windows\Currentversion\Explorer\Shell Folders\my Music)
SansaMonkey - for SanDisk Sansa and Rockbox Users

Please no PMs for Questions which should be asked in the Forum. Thx

tbessie

Yeah, I suppose so

Post by tbessie » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:53 am

But, you see, I don't want to use a system-dependent folder for anything.
I like it when you can set a system environment variable (eg. "HOME", or "MEDIAMONKEY_HOME"), or have .ini files always in the app's install location.

But that's just me. :-)

- Tim

Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky » Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:23 am

/agree

I hate when programs force you into the MS 'preferred' way of storing things in userprofiles.

For some things it works great, but when you DON'T WANT user specific profiles, its becomes quite the pain in the arse.

To go along with this, I hate when programs store settings in the registry... especially user specific settings.. instead of .ini or .xml config files.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:49 pm

I stopped using the My Documents folder for storing my documents a long time ago, too much non-documents stored there.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

DC

Post by DC » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:08 pm

Lowlander wrote:I stopped using the My Documents folder for storing my documents a long time ago, too much non-documents stored there.
:P

I recently did the same and set the location of my-documents back to its default. The only way not to be bothered with my-ebooks, borland-studio-projects (a special red raf to me), etc... As I see it my-documents should be the first suggestion to the user when an app wants to save user specific stuff. Automatically saving something in there renders it useless for what it's meant to be for.