Assign metadata from existing track to different MP3 file?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

rvonder

Assign metadata from existing track to different MP3 file?

Post by rvonder »

I have about 30 classical albums in my MM library linked to low-bandwidth MP3 files (e.g., 128kb). These albums have a total of 503 tracks, and have very detailed metadata including composers, conductors, orchestras, and album art. Most of this metadata required a lot of time and effort to manually create because auto-tagging wasn't available.

I have located a set of 503 files that duplicate each of those tracks, except that these are high-quality 320kb MP3's. What I need to do is simply change the filename/path for each of the existing tracks in the MM library to point to the new files instead of the old ones. Unfortunately, the new files have no metadata whatsoever, other than the track number appearing in the filename (e.g., "(01) [Unknown Artist] Track01.mp3").

I figured I could simply change the Path/Filename fields within MM to point to the new files using some clever RegExp logic and then do a Synchronize Tags to insert the existing metadata tags into the new MP3 files. Unfortunately, that won't work - MM simply renames the existing file, which is the exact opposite of what I need.

Please tell me that there is some reasonably easy way to use the existing album/track metadata, but replacing the old 128kb files with the new 320k filenames. The thought of having to manually recreate all of that metadata is too painful to even think about!

Any ideas would sure be welcomed - thanks!
rvonder

Re: Assign metadata from existing track to different MP3 fil

Post by rvonder »

@Lowlander, thank you, thank you! The metadata copy/paste function was exactly what needed. I was able to replace 500 MP3 files belonging to 30 albums in a matter of minutes. MM rules!