Podcast Tags are lost upon download

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

rednoise

Podcast Tags are lost upon download

Post by rednoise » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:52 pm

When I look at available podcasts in a subscription, the episode title, artist, album, date, comment, etc. are visible. After I download the episode, all that information is lost. This didn't used to happen, but started sometime within the past month or so. I've tried changing the setting, "On download, tag episodes based on data from Podcast feed" and it doesn't seem to make any difference. Does anyone have an idea about what's happening and why and how to fix it?

What, exactly, is the above setting supposed to do? I'm a little unclear about that.

Lowlander

Re: Podcast Tags are lost upon download

Post by Lowlander » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:14 pm

Which feed (URL) and which version of MediaMonkey are you using?
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

rednoise

Post by rednoise » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:49 pm

Lowlander wrote:Which feed (URL) and which version of MediaMonkey are you using?
It happens to all podcasts, but the one I was just experimenting with, toggling the setting I mentioned back and forth, is NPR's "Fresh Air", feed URL <http://www.npr.org/rss/podcast.php?id=13>.

It was happening with the previous version, which I just updated to ver. 4.1.11.1783, and it's still happening.

rednoise

Post by rednoise » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:08 pm

Here's a screen capture showing the podcast info before downloading:

And after downloading, showing how the downloaded file has no info tags:

And here are the settings for this particular podcast:

rivorson

Post by rivorson » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:06 am

I have also seen this a lot for a long time. For me it seems to happen if a podcast finishes downloading while MM is updating tags on another track. Changing the settings so that MM can only download one file at a time has helped mitigate the problem since there is less crossover between completing downloads and updating tags but it still happens occasionally.

Reproducability isn't guaranteed but the easiest way is to set number of concurrent downloads to a large number, subscribe to a new podcast that has a lot of available episodes, and download all of the episodes. Some episodes will keep their metadata and some will lose it.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:18 am

If you can reproduce you should capture it in a debug log (step 4b) and send it to support: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69

I've not seen this happen here.

rednoise

Post by rednoise » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:29 pm

rivorson wrote:I have also seen this a lot for a long time. For me it seems to happen if a podcast finishes downloading while MM is updating tags on another track. Changing the settings so that MM can only download one file at a time has helped mitigate the problem since there is less crossover between completing downloads and updating tags but it still happens occasionally.

Reproducability isn't guaranteed but the easiest way is to set number of concurrent downloads to a large number, subscribe to a new podcast that has a lot of available episodes, and download all of the episodes. Some episodes will keep their metadata and some will lose it.
This is an easy thing to try, and I will. However, I have a feeling that's not the answer for a couple of reasons...

- I have MM installed on two other computers, and it doesn't happen on them, and one of those is a VERY SLOW netbook running Win7 Starter. The affected computer runs XP, but is pretty peppy.

- I rarely have multiple download operations going on at once. I usually download one podcast at a time, and when testing this I was definitely downloading only one, and the tags vanished.

But I will give it a try and report back.

I'm just about resigned to uninstalling MM completely and reinstalling. I'll hate to lose all my settings, but unless a fix presents itself it may be my only option.

rednoise

Post by rednoise » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:44 pm

Lowlander wrote:If you can reproduce you should capture it in a debug log (step 4b) and send it to support: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69

I've not seen this happen here.
Well, I tried it, but I can't get DebugView to capture any events.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:03 pm

Did you install (and run) the debug version of MediaMonkey?

rednoise

Post by rednoise » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:46 pm

Lowlander wrote:Did you install (and run) the debug version of MediaMonkey?
No - I missed that step.

After I'm done with the debug build, can I install the regular version back over it to return to normal?

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:53 pm

Yes

rednoise

Post by rednoise » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:54 am

Well... I installed the debug version of MM and created a log. However, because it was set up to scan my library, the log file could not be made to be less than 1 MB zipped, the size limit for the forum. So I resorted to my next options.

First I rebuilt and optimized the index. Didn't help. Then I Cleared the database. Didn't help. Then I unsubscribed to the podcasts and resubscribed. Didn't help. So, finally I uninstalled MM and eliminated every trace of it that I could find from the disk and registry. Then I reinstalled and set it up fresh... and now it works. All podcast episodes I download now maintain their information tags, as expected.

I wish I knew what the real problem was, but I guess there was no easy known fix. All's well that ends well.

Thanks, all, for your assistance.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:20 pm

Support (where the log should be send) accepts up to 2MB files. If it is larger just upload to a file share like dropbox and then include the link to the file in your support ticket.

rednoise

Post by rednoise » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:18 pm

Lowlander wrote:Support (where the log should be send) accepts up to 2MB files. If it is larger just upload to a file share like dropbox and then include the link to the file in your support ticket.
That's good to know for next time, though the instructions explicitly state that the maximum attachment size is 1 MB. My log zipped up to about 1.7 MB.

rivorson

Post by rivorson » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:00 am

A year and a half since it was reported, I now know how to reproduce this every time. The tags are lost if MM is updating something else when the download completes.

For 100% reproducability:
  • Create a script that calls SDB.AllVisibleSongList.UpdateAll
  • Use that script on a large number of tracks. Any tracks will do as long as it is enough to last longer than the download.
  • Download a podcast episode.
  • When the download is finished, the feed data will be lost and replaced with the downloaded file's tags.
Using Tools --> Advanced Tag Management --> Synchronize Tags won't reproduce the issue. The script forces the condition of tag and database update that occurs when multiple episodes finish downloading in quick succession which I believe is the cause of the loss of feed data.