Library/data base not correctly organized (new user)

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

mendopaul

Library/data base not correctly organized (new user)

Post by mendopaul »

I'm a new user of MM on Windows 10 desktop: My 100gb classical music collection of mostly wma files and a few mp3's have been auto scanned by MM and has resulted in a confused library listing. Albums don't show up correctly, some composers show up as performers, conductors and artists as composers, and other accuracy problems. Do I have to go line by line to correct this or should I delete my data base and start over? Should I import classical music works individually rather than have my whole music folder auto scanned or auto imported into MM? I'm at a loss as to how to proceed to build an accurate database of classical music. Any thoughts or recommendations will be appreciated. Are there any tutorials for accurately building the library?
(Perhaps I should explain my description of myself as "newbie". I started years ago on MM but gave up due to inability to solve my library problem and now am determined to make it work properly. I'm still inexperienced working with the program but need it badly to control and listen to my collection.)
Last edited by Lowlander on Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to correct Forum
Lowlander

Re: Library/data base not correctly organized (new user)

Post by Lowlander »

Generally what you see is what's in the tags, thus re-tagging is required to fix all the errors.

Some errors could've been picked up by Infer File Properties, in that case removing and rescanning without that option enabled could give better results.
mendopaul

Post by mendopaul »

Sorry to be thick headed but I couldn't understand your reply but many thanks for it. I've given up trying to work with the existing data base as it seemed totally daunting to try and fix the properties of all of the many hundreds of classical tracks involved. So I've started a new database and have begun scanning each single composer one at a time and organizing the tracks of those titles one by one to form a coherent list. I'm hoping this task gets easier and more efficient as I learn going forward. Right now my ignorance is painful.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Ok, but for now you'll still want to disable "infer file properties" until you get the hang of things (may cause future confusion).
Tools > Options > Library > uncheck infer file properties
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
mendopaul

Post by mendopaul »

Ok, many thanks, I did that. Now one thing that has me really confused is this: I renamed and moved my data base file to a different drive entirely and for a while I've been working with just what seemed like a blank database and I've been adding one or two composers' works to get a feel for it. All of a sudden as I thrash around in the program my whole music collection is now showing up again. Where did this come from and how do I get back to an empty database?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Either manual scanning or Folder Monitoring: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... ibrary/4.0
mendopaul

Post by mendopaul »

Thank you for hanging in there with me. I was trying several things to get all of the tracks of one composer to be scanned into the DB but only 2 out of 10 tracks would make it. I failed to figure out how to drag and drop within the program. I went to My Computer in the folder tree but could not find a target folder in which to drop the missing track files. Any hints on how I've missed the mark here?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If you want to add files through drag & drop to the MediaMonkey Library you need to to drop on a root Collection node (like Music).
mendopaul

Post by mendopaul »

Again, many thanks Lowlander. I'm beginning to get the hang of this thing. But very laborious with a semi-large classical music collection.
mendopaul

Post by mendopaul »

Is there a way to change the path for all of the library tracks at once? I've now moved my music to a home AV server and I need to show the DB where it is now.

Or is there a way to change at least a bunch at one time?
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜