Getting lots of lag due to background SQL tasks

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

NWDreamer

Getting lots of lag due to background SQL tasks

Post by NWDreamer »

Didn't notice this prior to the last update, but I'm STILL importing tracks (and will be for a couple more months at least) and I'm getting both lag and loss of keystrokes. A little bit of investigation found that I could turn on "Show elapsed time in the progress bar after SQL queries" and that showed what was causing the lag. Apparently, these scripts are running to update the Magic Nodes but I can't find a way to turn them off while I'm importing... I'm up to about 150,000 tracks (with at least as many to go) and it takes about eight hours to completely import and finesse 1,000 tracks to my liking so I definitely don't want anything else slowing down the process!

I've got all the performance items on (I have a four core Intel i5 760 running at 2.80 GHz with 12 GB of RAM which should be plenty of resources for this).

Any ideas how to turn the Magic Node updating off until I can let it have dedicated time to do whatever it thinks it needs to do?
Craig B. (a.k.a., NW Dreamer - Gold MediaMonkey user.)
NWDreamer

Re: Getting lots of lag due to background SQL tasks

Post by NWDreamer »

I'm not sure if this is related, but I'm also getting this error occasionally (it shows up twice each time but doesn't tell me WHAT Magic Node it's referring to):
Error

The mask defining this Magic Node produced an error. Edit the mask and try again.
(The error probably resides in the Filter or SQL filter qualifiers.)
rebecca.whit3

Post by rebecca.whit3 »

Have you tried removing MagicNodes (temporarily) to import your music and re-installing it afterwards?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Also run File > Maintain Library with complete optimization checked occasionally to speed up the database.
NWDreamer

Post by NWDreamer »

Thanks for the replies!

@Rebecca - How do you remove the MagicNodes?

-----------------------------------------

@Lowlander - That's DEFINITELY something I will do, it hasn't been done since I bought MM.

One question, what exactly does "Create multi-artist Albums..." do? I did a search in help (it wasn't any) and then searched these forums (and got "No posts were found because the word multi-artist is not contained in any post.").

Craig B. (a.k.a., NW Dreamer) - Gold owner.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It automatically modifies Album Artist for files where MediaMonkey believes they belong to the same Album, but currently have differing Album Artist values. I wouldn't use it (instead you can use Files to Edit > Multi-Artist Albums to manually decide which need to be modified.

Tools > Extensions allows you to remove Addons.
NWDreamer

Post by NWDreamer »

Ok, thanks!

As for Magic Nodes, I didn't realize it was an Addon (I certainly don't remember getting it). Before I asked I did a search in the Addons section for the word "Magic" (and, just now, "Magic Nodes") and got no results. I guess I'll uninstall it and worry about finding it (or something similar) should the need arise down the road.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

Don't worry .. it is an addon . you can get it anytime

Here is the forum for it .. http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=19168
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
NWDreamer

Post by NWDreamer »

Thanks for the link. I'm TRYING not to be that guy who posts without searching to see if the answer already exists, but I'm really running into a lot of things that don't seem to appear where I would expect them to... Oh well.

Ironically, although I've had and been in MM for years, I really haven't used it as a media player much yet - just a repository for my music that I'm consolidating from several sources. I probably will have a much better handle on the main functions then and can get into scripting, etc. (I'm a long time programmer and was even an assistant DBA so you'd think I could figure this stuff out :roll: ).