freedb Extended Data

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

gbilley

freedb Extended Data

Post by gbilley »

Greetings,

In retrieving data from freedb, I see that extended track data is saved in the MM Song Comment field. However, if a freedb entry includes CD extended data, MM doesn't seem to retrieve and save it -- at least as far as I can find.

Does MM retrieve and save CD extended data from freedb, and if so, where does it store and display that data?

Thanks.
Peke

Re: freedb Extended Data

Post by Peke »

Can you please make few screenshots of data you are referring to?

And Do you have CDDBID for the CD that you know contains extended data on FreeDB Use http://www.freedb.org/freedb_search.php for CD search

As example http://www.freedb.org/freedb/blues/7a0a310a do not have extended data
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
gbilley

Post by gbilley »

The disc that I first noticed the problem on is b908a50f. Here's the freedb URL: http://www.freedb.org/freedb/folk/b908a50f

As you can see, the entry has both CD extended data and track extended data on several tracks. When I retrieve the data from freedb, the track data is saved in the Song Comment field.

But I can't find the CD extended data anywhere. It's not in Album or Media Comments. I've even used a SQLite browser to search in out-of-the-way places. I even tried on another computer with a fresh copy of the latest MM. Same result.

If I retrieve the data with EAC, it does pull in the CD extended data.

I'm inquiring about this for two reasons. One, obviously, is that some entries might have useful CD extended data, so it would be useful to have it brought into MM.

The other reason is that I developed an Addon to allow users to submit data to freedb from MM. Right now, it allows you to submit a new disc, or update an existing disc.

However, if MM doesn't retrieve CD extended data, it won't be a good idea to allow updates from MM since an update would wipe the existing CD extended data on freedb.

Thanks for checking into this.

Cheers,

Gary
Last edited by gbilley on Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Have you found any pattern what that extended info Contain?
Best regards,
Peke
gbilley

Post by gbilley »

Hi Peke,

Sorry for the late reply. I just noticed your post today.

To answer your question, there is no pattern. Extended disc data never gets carried over to MM. I cross-checked all the discs in EAC which indicated extended disc data with the same entries in MM, and MM had none of the extended disc data. The data ranged in complexity from simple one-liners to long, multi-line statements with line breaks, tabs, and extended characters. None show up in MM.

Does MM actually capture extended disc data from freedb? And if so, where does it put it? In the Album Comments field?

Thanks.

Regards,

Gary
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
As pointed, I checked our code and MMW do not import extended data by latest non documented protocol but only standard CDDB/FreeDB information structure.
Best regards,
Peke