Advice for Itunes Migration

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

SGUIRR

Advice for Itunes Migration

Post by SGUIRR »

I hate Itunes, for myself I only use it for backing up my phone, I even disable the three Apple services that I find cripple the performance of PC's and Laptops.

However for others I have been looking for an alternative so I was pleased to discover Media Monkey.

I am upgrading someone's PC and wanted to know the best way to upgrade their Itunes collection to MediaMonkey?

Their old system has a hard disk failure so my first question is whether Media Monkey can make some sense of the collection if I am able to get the files off the hard disk?

If so what folders and files are required?

The file structure was a mess in Itunes, I have moved all the music files to one folder, would this prevent MediaMonkey doing a good conversion?

Or is it better to forget Itunes and just see if Media Monkey can make sense of his files?

Other questions I have...

Is Media Monkey considered a client or server?

Does Media Monkey emulate Itunes?

Does media monkey support itunes servers on NAS devices?

Does Media Monkey work with Plex?
Lowlander

Re: Advice for Itunes Migration

Post by Lowlander »

You'll have to scan the files in and see what's what. If the files are tagged properly the transition is easy, but if the tags are a mess too (you already indicated the file structure was a mess) it will be a challenging transition as MediaMonkey can't automagically tag your files.

1) MediaMonkey is first and foremost a database of your music. It can also act as a DLNA server and a DLNA client.

2) No, but it is similar as they're trying to do a similar thing.

3) No, MediaMonkey only supports DLNA servers which most NAS can do.

4) Again, only if you'd run the DLNA server in Plex.