AutoPlaylist based on non-auto playlist help

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

saila7124

AutoPlaylist based on non-auto playlist help

Post by saila7124 »

This is probably something stupid and easy, but I keep running into trouble.

I use MM primarily to listen to podcasts, and I have a master (manual) playlist with the ones I'm listening to in the order I'm listening to them in. This list is very large, and when I go to sync it with my tiny iPod, I always get a few messages about it being too large and some tracks won't sync, et cetera. It's a minor pain in the ass.

My idea, therefore, was to create an AutoPlaylist that pulls only enough from the master list to fit on my iPod. That way I don't run into errors when I sync the pod, and it has the bonus criteria of only adding tracks I haven't listened to yet, saving me the trouble of manually paring the tracks I've listened to every time I sync.

The problem is that this AutoPlaylist seems to pull the tracks from my main list in alphabetical order, not in the order I have them set up in (and therefore not including tracks that I would like it to). Is there a way for the AutoPlaylist to stick to the order from the master list?

I feel like I'm just missing a setting, maybe. Here's the rules I set up for the AutoPlaylist. What am I missing here?

MMFrLife

Re: AutoPlaylist based on non-auto playlist help

Post by MMFrLife »

How are you able to use as criteria the very playlist that you are inside of?
When I try to test what you are asking, that is the one playlist checkbox that is disabled. As if to say, I can't choose the very playlist I'm inside of.

I believe I wishlisted using a playlist's name as criteria a while back.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
๐Ÿ˜œ
saila7124

Post by saila7124 »

*shrug* I dunno. I just did it!
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Ok, so, but in the example, you are self-referencing the parent one only, right?
What does the ...Short one look like?

Also, what version of MM?
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
๐Ÿ˜œ
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

No, AutoPlaylists always do alphabetical sorting and disregard the sort order of the referenced Playlist.
saila7124

Post by saila7124 »

Aw. Bummer. Well, thanks anyway.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Aw, sorry, it's not the same. My mind was playing tricks on me. I could have sworn the name of the Playlist was the same as the playlist for the criterion. :roll:
I had an idea for a workaround, but I don't think it will work. I'll mess around with it and see. If I come up with something, I'll post back for anyone who cares.
๐Ÿ˜œ
AllieWade

Post by AllieWade »

Apologies for the necropost, but I'm running into the same issue with a similar use case so it seemed better to resurrect this than to duplicate.

I too mostly use MMW and MMA to listen to podcasts, and I recently got MM Gold so that I could set up an autoplaylist for my podcasts instead of spending a lot of time tediously manually sorting podcasts. And it *almost* works; if only I could get the playlist to inherit the sort order from child playlists, I'd be in good shape.

For reference, here's what I'm doing:

Playlist Queue; search Podcast; match any-
playlist is Priority 11
playlist is Priority 10
playlist is Priority 1

By adding the sub-playlists as separate conditions, I'm able to get the playlist to list all the episodes in one priority, then the next, and so on. But the final playlist is useless to me because within the priorities, the individual episodes aren't sorted as I had them sorted in the component playlists.

Is this something that could be added as a future feature for MM?