Ignore duplicates?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

RoadRunner

Ignore duplicates?

Post by RoadRunner »

I have for some reason, lost quite a few tracks (multiple artists), probably some kind of cockpit error on my part!!!!
However I have a saved copy of the music folder, pretty recent, and a good percentage of the tracks are there (that I know came up missing).
Since I do not know which other tracks are missing, Is there a way to scan the old music folder and save only the tracks that are missing on the active music folder...??

I'd prefer not to have all the duplicates there. However if that is part of the solution, having the dupe tracks, how to I find and purge all the duplictate tracks?
Thanks, Henri
Lowlander

Re: Ignore duplicates?

Post by Lowlander »

Not really.

How about copying everything from backup and skipping where the file already exists?
NewtonBoy

Post by NewtonBoy »

I When this happened to me, I used the "Magic Nodes" addon to find the albums I was missing tracks from. One of the nodes is "Incomplete Albums." As I recall, this shows you albums that have fewer tracks than the largest track number in the album. I was then able to locate the original files from my backup, and copy them to the new location. YMMV if your music is not tagged and organized as meticulously as mine is.

Magic Nodes does have some options for finding duplicates. There is another plugin that I don't remember the name of (It's installed, I just don't remember which one does the magic.) that allows you to copy/paste metadata from one track to another, while deleting the file where the data was copied from, and moving the new file to the old location.

If that won't work for you, then I believe this is your solution;
Lowlander wrote:How about copying everything from backup and skipping where the file already exists?
Good luck, and remember to backup your library, early and often. Nobody likes to do backups, but everyone loves a restore.
Media Monkey Gold 4.1.14.1813 Portable
Windows 10 anniversary, i5, 8GB Ram, 256GB SSD, Library on External drive
14MB Media Monkey Database
929 GB Library
RoadRunner

Post by RoadRunner »

Lowlander,
I have made many changes to the new database folder that I'f prefer not to lose. I'm led to believe if I simply scan the old folder contents in, I'll end up with a BUNCH of duplicates for files that also in the new folder....
So I'm trying to find a way to not have to manually delete all the dupers....
Thanks, Henri
AlanH

Post by AlanH »

If it was me in this situation I would use a custom column to mark all my original files, scan in all the new files then use the "advanced duplicate find and fix" add on to find all tracks with duplicate content, then you can just sort on your custom column and delete anything not marked as original in one go.
RoadRunner

Post by RoadRunner »

AlanH,
I have loaded the "advanced duplicate find and fix" script, and was unable to figure out how to get it to function. I'd go thru the options, and set them up , i think, but saw no way to 'kick it off' to initiate a scan. obviously i did not do something correctly. Can you give me a quick write up on it? I only found write ups on installation, none on actual use, that the screens matched. I'm currently using version 4.1.14.1813, if that makes any difference...
Thanks, Henri
AlanH

Post by AlanH »

I'm not on my laptop ATM but will do something when I am. Might be tomorrow now as I don't get in till late.

Here's the help thread on the add on from the forums. http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=13000
AlanH

Post by AlanH »

Sorry for not getting back to you on this but had to run out and get a new laptop over the wkend. Hopefully will be able to post some screenshots later.
AlanH

Post by AlanH »

Here's a quick guide to using the advance duplicate find and fix addon

after you installed it you have to rescan your files see below

Once its rescanned click on the music node, then Files to edit, then advanced duplicate find and fix

If you click on the unanalysed tracks it should be empty
click on the arrow next to tracks with same content and then the Add all tracks shows all the duplicates
IF you created a column marked originals then just sort on this and delete anything not marked.
Note you could sort on the date/ time added