Title from Filename

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Alvaro Mera

Title from Filename

Post by Alvaro Mera »

I checked the first 15 of the 37 pages of the 553 matches found on the "title from filename" search, plus some other sources and could not find the answer I am looking for.

When I rip songs from CDs or download them from YouTube for instance, I save them in a folder I call: F:\MUSIC\Music Collection\New music for the collection and identify them with Name, Artist, Group, Album, Publisher, Year, Composer, etc. and the proper format .mp3 at the end, for further processing. When I am ready, I then transfer them to their appropriate folders of F:\MUSIC\Music Collection\Country\Group\Album and when I open MM, they come listed in the Path column as entered:

"F:\M\MC\C\G\A\Give Me The Moon Over Brooklyn Guy Lombardo Seems Like Old Times Pickwick SPC 3530.mp3"

The Title column is shown as:

"Give Me The Moon Over Brooklyn Guy Lombardo Seems Like Old Times Pickwick SPC 3530"

I edit the Path and place the different pieces of information in the appropriate columns and clean the Path name; exit MM and open it again and then it looks like:

"F:\MUSIC\Music Collection\Canada\Guy Lombardo\Seems Like Old Times\Give Me The Moon Over Brooklyn.mp3".

The Filename shows like this:

"Give Me The Moon Over Brooklyn.mp3"

However the Title still doesn't change and shows the original information as entered:

"Give Me The Moon Over Brooklyn Guy Lombardo Seems Like Old Times Pickwick SPC 3530.mp3"

I did it a couple or several more years ago, under XP or Win 7 when I converted my casettes, LPs and CDs and have thousands of other songs properly titled, but this time, under Win 10, I just can not figure out how to setup the Filename format in the option Auto-Tag from Filename.

Can someone please refresh my memory. Thanks.
Last edited by Lowlander on Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to correct Forum
Lowlander

Re: Title from Filename

Post by Lowlander »

MM8 doesn't have a facility for this. But MMW does through Auto-Tag from Filename: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... lename/4.0
Alvaro Mera

Re: Title from Filename (Solved)

Post by Alvaro Mera »

Lowlander wrote:MM8 doesn't have a facility for this. But MMW does through Auto-Tag from Filename: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... lename/4.0
I want to thank you again for your effort Lowlander. You have helped me before.

I could not understand why this could not be done since I had done it before. Don't know what MM8 (MM under Win 8?) or MMW (MM under Win?) are and although I tried all the File format combinations available in the drop down menu and some others and had checked the reference you provided, I could not really make it do what I wanted.

Then I checked that I was using version 4.1.14 and decided to update it. Downloaded and installed 4.1.15.1830 and recreated the Library. It came exactly as the one I had before, and then I tried the Auto-tag from Filename option, the first combination it showed was <Title>-<Artist>, so I decided to use it and Voilà, that was it. Tried on some other titles and it worked, so I decided to go all the way and ended up with all the 347 titles I needed edited. I had already tried the <Title>-<Artist> combination with the previous version, but could not make it work.

Something I still don't understand is why when selecting the Auto-Tag from Filename option, the Title is included in Yellow in the column of the Artist, which I precisely cleaned from the Path, before trying the option. The Library didn't show the Title in the Artist column.

Thanks again for your assistance.
Lowlander

Re: Title from Filename

Post by Lowlander »

MM8 is a Windows App (from App Store) for Windows 8, MMW is MediaMonkey for Windows which is the desktop software and what you're using.

Auto-Tag from Filename only works on filenames with the same setup. For example:

10. Switchfoot - Yet requires <Track#>. <Artist> - <Title>

Switchfoot - Yet requires <Artist> - <Title>

Yet - Switchfoot requires < Title> - <Artist>

Switchfoot - Hello Hurricane - Yet requires <Artist> - <Album> - <Title>