How good is Media Monkey?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

templefugates

How good is Media Monkey?

Post by templefugates »

I'm seriously considering buying the Gold version. I'm trying to rebuild my music collection and I'm looking for a good tool to rip, play and organize my music.
WinAmp was my gold standard player when it was supported, looking for something in that mold to build with. Syncing wirelessly was a great feature of WinAmp and I believe MM has that. Ripping, tagging\organizing and syncing are my priorities. I also would like a nice user interface, not just some cold text, but some album art, larger easy to click controls and a polished looking player overall. $49 bucks ain't cheap, so I would like to know if it's worth it; especially with no free trail to kick the tires. Addressing some of the setting (like where ripped files go automatically) seem not to be as intuitive as expected in the plain version. I wonder if these concerns are addressed in the pro version. Plus support seems to be more forum directed and less from the support team direct.
Lowlander

Re: How good is Media Monkey?

Post by Lowlander »

You can start with the free version. All those features are available, although some are paid features (like wifi sync), but you can get a feel for the program.
rasmith1959

Post by rasmith1959 »

templefugates wrote:I'm seriously considering buying the Gold version. I'm trying to rebuild my music collection and I'm looking for a good tool to rip, play and organize my music.
WinAmp was my gold standard player when it was supported, looking for something in that mold to build with. Syncing wirelessly was a great feature of WinAmp and I believe MM has that. Ripping, tagging\organizing and syncing are my priorities. I also would like a nice user interface, not just some cold text, but some album art, larger easy to click controls and a polished looking player overall. $49 bucks ain't cheap, so I would like to know if it's worth it; especially with no free trail to kick the tires. Addressing some of the setting (like where ripped files go automatically) seem not to be as intuitive as expected in the plain version. I wonder if these concerns are addressed in the pro version. Plus support seems to be more forum directed and less from the support team direct.
MediaMonkey is well worth the $49 you'll pay for it. WinAmp used to my my goto media player as well, but then I found MM and haven't regretted changing. Organizing your music files can be done manually or automatically, and you can even customize the file paths and filenames MM uses. The look of the program can easily be changed by using skins, or you can customize it yourself to your liking.All in all you can't go wrong with MediaMonkey, you'll be glad you switched!
alb123

Post by alb123 »

I've tried so many different Music & Video organizers over the years. Dozens. MediaMonkey has remained my default for several years now. People have been going on and on about JRiver lately. I just tried it yesterday. I set up a small batch of music/movies just to test it out before I let it touch 70,000+ songs. The experience was horrible. It's pretty. But it is just not intuitive. I wanted to rename something. You'd figure a slow double-click or right-click > rename on a pop-up menu. Nope. WTH? That's like a standard Windows function. Now, I'm sure there are probably many people in here who love JRiver as well as MM, but I don't...I'm sorry.

I've been trying them all...Music Bee (feels like a cheap ripoff of MM), Foobar2000, JRiver, etc... MediaMonkey is intuitive, friendly, easy to use...but powerful! Auto-Tagging, Auto-Lyric downloading, etc.. I love it. I've been with MM for many years and I have no plans to leave MM anytime soon. Not a chance.
Toolshed

Post by Toolshed »

I will have to admit, you're not going to get much better, and with such support. I will mirror what others said, I have tried a BUNCH of different programs to 'monkey' around (SORRY, just couldn't resist) with my music folders. I ALWAYS came back to Media Monkey after usually short tryouts.

$50 is a really good deal for lifetime updates. I certainly don't use all the gold functions, but I know I helped fund efforts going forward to improve the product.

Two cents worth for you. Pay into it. It has likely given you that much in return from just the freebies you've gotten....
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Toolshed wrote:you're not going to get much better, and with such support.
BTW, Have you tried MM5?
Toolshed wrote:... I have tried ... to 'monkey' around (SORRY, just couldn't resist) ... I ALWAYS came back to Media Monkey after usually short tryouts.
Monkey see, Monkey do. Happy Monkeying!!!! (SORRY, me neither)

Thank you all.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
sallenmd87

Post by sallenmd87 »

Vastly superior to iTunes, that's for d****d sure.
williamlporter

Post by williamlporter »

I use the scripts that come with the Gold Version almost every day. I got the Gold Version when I first downloaded MM, so I don't know what other enhancements come with the Gold.Even if there wasn't extra functionality with the Gold. It would be worth $49. I've been using MM for 7 years, so it's cost me $7 a year so far. Once I started using MM I never looked back, except for the simplicity of loading a CD into my database from Itunes and printing a CD insert when I burn a CD.
movermeshakerme1

Post by movermeshakerme1 »

Hi, frustrated Jriver user here. I have not tried MM before. I've been with Jriver for about 5 years. Looking for something with simpler administration (I have network issues and iPhone app issues with Jriver all the time).

OK, if I want to convert, can you help me answer a few questions?

- Chromecast compatibility?
- iPhone app stability?
- Can MM import my 67 Jriver playlists?

I'm a pure FLAC user, and why does MM always have, "100,000+ files" listed in the description? Does something happen with the 100,001st file?

Thanks in advance!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

1) MediaMonkey 4 doesn't have Chromecast support. MediaMonkey 5 (in development) will and MediaMonkey for Android already does.
2) No App for iOS, but syncing to Apple devices works well (if you hold of on getting latest iOS releases before bugs are worked out). Developers are very responsive to any issues that do come up (Apple is a closed eco system after all).
3) MediaMonkey can import M3U, PLS and ASX Playlist files, so if it can be exported you can have it imported.
4) That's why there is a +, it indicates more than. There are users with 1,000,000+ files.