MediaMonkey readds files moved by MusicBrainz Picard

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

MisterFlix

MediaMonkey readds files moved by MusicBrainz Picard

Post by MisterFlix »

Hi,

I want to move my Music files with MusicBrainz Picard instead of MediaMonkey itself, but for some reason, files that are moved or even just renamed are not recognized as the same file by MM. When continuous scanning is enabled, it just deletes the previous entry and readds the file, and even with continous scan off, it doesn't recognize the file when I use Locate Moved/Missing Files.
Both moving and renaming works perfectly fine and as intended when I move them by hand.

Does anyone have an idea why it doesn't work with Picard?
Kind Regards,
Flix
Peke

Re: MediaMonkey readds files moved by MusicBrainz Picard

Post by Peke »

Simply because you are changing filenames outside MMW and after that only filesize and tag data (both if not edited) can give you chance of 50/50 that file is the same.

I wonder why not MMW but Picard?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
MisterFlix

Post by MisterFlix »

That sounds plausible, but, as I said, it works perfectly fine if I rename the files in the explorer, and I have now also tested other Filetaggers and -movers, with which it works perfectly fine with as well. Only Picard's moving is not recognized by MM.

I want to use Picard for several reasons, including that my music library is 60000+ files big, making it take very long for MM to scan through them even without organizing the files. Furthermore, I only want to auto-organize files that I have properly tagged already (I know that I could use a custom field to note that in MM as well, but doing it right in Picard makes it much more convenient). Furthermore, my files are on a Linux file system, and by using Picard on that system, Window's file length restrictions do not apply (And yes, I have already tested having the files on the PC that MM is running on, with the same results). (Inevitable question: Why don't you use one of the other filetaggers you tested? Because Picard is the best one I found and the only one to fulfill all my wishes when it comes to certain parts of the paths, e.g. the total numbers of discs)
Kind Regards,
Flix
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey relies on notifications from Windows that the files are being moved. Then Folder Monitoring on both the source and destination folder would pick up the change. Maybe MBP isn't giving the right notifications to Windows?
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Maybe Picard changes file tags (actual file data) when moving and thus MediaMonkey doesn't recognize it as the same file then?