How to sync single database on portable HD between two pcs

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Remydog

How to sync single database on portable HD between two pcs

Post by Remydog »

I am working on a complete reorganization of my music files which has thousands of duplicates. I have my entire collection of over 20k songs on a portable hard drive. I work on this using MM at home and at work. However, I find that despite deleting duplicate files on an album at one location, those same files still appear in the file list on the second location. I'm guessing there is some synchronization that I can do when I first start working at the next location that will clean up the list so that those duplicates no longer appear in the file list, but I can't quite figure that out. I have tried rescanning, maintaining the library and synchronizing the tags, but none of those seems to quite work. (Perhaps I don't have those marked with the proper settings). I started reading some posts about synchronizing, but those seem to be more about using a portable player, which is not my situation.

Thanks for any help.
Lowlander

Re: How to sync single database on portable HD between two p

Post by Lowlander »

There is no synchronization capability between 2 databases.

However you can install MediaMonkey as Portable Install on the external drive and thus have the same setup and DB in both locations.
Remydog

Post by Remydog »

Thanks for the quick response. Now I just need to figure out how to install as a portable device. :D
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Just choose portable checkbox in istall dialog.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜