How to do Fresh Install

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

How to do Fresh Install

Postby tom stearns » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:13 am

My Media Monkey is a bit older--V4.1.7.1741 Gold 4X. It seems to be riddled with bugs; runs very slowly, has duplicate File, Edit, etc drop-down boxes in the upper toolbar, refuses to do block highlighting and many other defects. O/S is Win7 Ultimate. I am thinking of copying the database folder onto an external drive, then Uninstalling the program and making a fresh installation of the newest V4, then copying the database file back into its present position in User>App Data>roaming>Media Monkey> MM. Is this a proper procedure, and will it work?
tom stearns

Re: How to do Fresh Install

Postby Lowlander » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:13 am

Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)
Lowlander

Corruption

Postby tom stearns » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:44 am

I have an installation of Media Monkey i V4.1.7.1741 running on Win7 Ultimate. It has become quite unpredictable in its behaviour; freezes, hangs up, won't Search properly, won't do block Selects (highlight one end of a block of files, navigate to the other end, hold down the Shift key and left click) and many other oddities and failures. What is the problem? This install used to run quite well. How do I fix it?

What is the best version of MMonkey to run on Win7 Ultimate?

How do I do a Fresh Install?
Last edited by Lowlander on Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing post
tom stearns

Re: Corruption

Postby dtsig » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:52 am

First thing i would do is make a copy of your db and ini file. Then I would upgrade the the current version. Then I would run library maintenance on your db ..
As for a fresh install .. look at http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ediamonkey
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
dtsig

Postby tom stearns » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:15 pm

I Unistalled Media Monkey from a backup IBM T60 with Win7 Ultimate and deleted the program folder plus the database and configuration folders then did a fresh install of the current version downloaded from the website. I inserted my Gold 4X username and key. This install runs poorly--hangs up, freezes, doesn't Search correctly, stops playing for no obvious reason and, worst of all, is white letters on a black background so very difficult to read.

I noticed that the install opened without any sign of music; it was blank, as if it had not accepted my db and config transplants. So I instructed it to Scan for files and it proceeded to so so.

Could this be an O/S conflict with the current version? Both my T60's run Win7 Ultimate and the poor operation looks similar. Obviously there's no advantage to my destroying my current "working" install until I know why I am having all this trouble.

Where is the command to change the skin?
tom stearns

Postby Lowlander » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:19 pm

If you delete the database it would mean the Library is empty on re-install. Looks are controlled through Skins (Tools > Options > Skins).
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)
Lowlander

Return to Need Help? (mmw)