New user, help with importing from itunes library please

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

New user, help with importing from itunes library please

Postby maxxuk » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:38 am

New user to MM (so far so good).

I have a big libary, over 102,000 files, mostly music, some audiobook, don't really bother with vids/pics etc.
I have run itunes successfully (although begrudgingly) for many years, have lots of playlists and ratings.
I'm using an iPod Classic 6th Gen and managing iTunes on a win7 laptop with all media on an ext hdd.

I 'had to' find another way to work as iTunes would not let me upgrade to latest version which I needed to do a minor copy to an IPad with ios11
I spent 5hrs on it, incl reading all the instructions, tips, tricks, work arounds etc. removed it completely a number of times which supposed to have worked, it didn't and left loads of crap behind which I then had to delete again. Anyway ....

Looks like MM scanned all my files OK and most look OK (a few oddities, see later) but now importing metadata etc. from iTunes appears to have 'hung'. It has been sat saying "43438 files to be tagged" for a few hours now. It does seem to be using CPU 25% constant (i7 laptop) and memory usage is increasing very slightly, about 1,500K in the last hour [is at 15,000K].

Feeling it was hung I tried to exit, it said background processes were running was I sure. I gave it a bit longer then did it again and said YES the last time to close but it didn't close, tried it again and just does not seem to respond.

My main question is "Is it actually doing something that if I kill the process will mess it up"?

Related to that, if it will/won't can I redo the process again?
What exactly is it 'tagging', the media files themselves or references in the MM database/library?

Any help/advice would be appreciated, what made it worse was that it happened the evening before leaving for holiday (am away now) and I really want to sync some more files over to the iPod.

M
maxxuk

Re: New user, help with importing from itunes library please

Postby Lowlander » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:01 am

See: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ediamonkey

iTunes import only imports a couple things (don't remember which for sure). I think Rating maybe 1 and Play History another. Most metadata is written to the files (iTunes is somewhat an exception here). One thing you'll loose is Artwork tagged by iTunes (it uses a proprietary system).
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)
Lowlander

Postby maxxuk » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:57 am

Thanks for the reply, killed the process in the end but doesn't seem to have had any detrimental effect. Pleased to find all my playlist brought across as well as had loads, there are some anomolies, a few 'odd' looking ratings with what looks like a speech bubble rather than stars but can amend.

I'm really too nervous to try and attempt a sync yet though. My iPod is all set with what I wanted for the holiday apart from a few recent additions which I can live without but would hate to screw up my iPod (not that i'd expect that ... but better safe than sorry).

M.
maxxuk

Postby Lowlander » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:09 am

Then I'd wait till you do have a need to sync.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)
Lowlander

Return to Need Help? (mmw)