Need help setting up MM

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

monape

Need help setting up MM

Post by monape » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:36 am

Hi
I have just installed MM on my laptop/windows 10 pc.
My music library is located on the Shield TV because my laptop harddrive isnt big enough, so i need to find a way to wirelessly within my network to manage and access my music library. Is this possible? Im a bit confused because im not sure how to do this the proper way. Thanks for any help.

Lowlander

Re: Need help setting up MM

Post by Lowlander » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:07 pm

You'll need to setup a network share (likely Samba), so check if this is even possible on the Shield TV.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

monape

Post by monape » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:35 am

Lowlander wrote:You'll need to setup a network share (likely Samba), so check if this is even possible on the Shield TV.
I have managed to map ShieldTV as a network drive on my PC. The music files are in a folder called "com.plexapp.mediaserver.smb".
Is this the right network share you are referring to?

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:30 pm

I don't know. Depends on where you have your files stored.

Note that a Mapped Drive isn't recommended with MediaMonkey, just use the UNC Path to the File Server on the ShieldTV.

monape

Post by monape » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:28 pm

Lowlander wrote:I don't know. Depends on where you have your files stored.

Note that a Mapped Drive isn't recommended with MediaMonkey, just use the UNC Path to the File Server on the ShieldTV.
Im not sure if i know what you mean. Instead of accessing the mapped drive i can access the same folder typing into the browser like this:
\\shield\internal\Android\data\com.plexapp.mediaserver.smb\Music
Is this what you mean by UNC?

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:53 pm

Yes, and that will work better with MediaMonkey. Are your media files stored in that location? If Add it in the File > Add/Rescan Files dialog and let scan that location.

monape

Post by monape » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:17 am

Lowlander wrote:Yes, and that will work better with MediaMonkey. Are your media files stored in that location? If Add it in the File > Add/Rescan Files dialog and let scan that location.
Yes, i have 4 Folders in that location which i look at as 4 different libraries that i like to seperate from eachother.
After the scan i am able to locate these folders from within the media tree Music node.
First tab goes to first folder (library), second tab goes to second folder(library) and so forth..
I will then have 4 tabs with 4 separated libraries open when starting MM.

Is this how it should be done or is there better way to manage the libraries?

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:17 am

You can use Collections (File > Manage Collections) with the Location Criteria to create multiple Libraries within MediaMonkey (Gold feature).

monape

Post by monape » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:02 am

Lowlander wrote:You can use Collections (File > Manage Collections) with the Location Criteria to create multiple Libraries within MediaMonkey (Gold feature).
Theres just one thing i dont understand. Its very easy to mess up the multiple libraries tabs. Theres no way to pin or lock those tabs to the specified location? Or even rename or color code the tabs would be helpful.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:52 pm

Tabs can't be colored coded or pinned.

jmack789

Post by jmack789 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:09 am

I was looking for a simple stand-alone solution to replace my squeezebox. Adding a 2nd drive to my old laptop seemed like the simplest solution. I used a "2nd SATA HDD Hard drive bay" I found on Amazon to install a 2TB drive. It just slips into the slot replacing the DVD drive. It then shows up as drive D where I now have all my music. Simple, self contained music server/player plugged into my DAC using a USB cable. And I can control it all with my Harmony remote using a FLIRC USB dongle. Great little gadget. :D Now I just have to tune Windows 10 to turn off the services not required for playing music. Anyone have a reference guide for that?
Enjoy the music!