Auto organize multiple media types

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

gordol

Auto organize multiple media types

Post by gordol »

So, I've been using MMW for a couple months, and recently found the Auto Organize setting, and promptly screwed up my library file structure. I don't think I lost anything, all the media still appears to be present with the correct tags. However, everything is now under my Music folder. I just discovered this the other day when I added a home video and then couldn't find it in the file folder it should have been in.

I am a convert from iTunes, my library folder structure is inherited from there, and despite any issues with iTunes, I like the folder structure and want to restore it.

How can I set up the auto organize in MMW to put music in folder A, Movies in folder \music, TV shows in folder \TV and Home Videos in folder \Home Videos ?

MMW 4.1.19.1859 in Win10.
Lowlander

Re: Auto organize multiple media types

Post by Lowlander »

You can set Auto-Rules to only work for a specific Collection, Genre or Playlist. Thus allowing you to do what you seek.
gordol

Post by gordol »

Lowlander wrote:You can set Auto-Rules to only work for a specific Collection, Genre or Playlist. Thus allowing you to do what you seek.
Ok... the question was:

How can I set up the auto organize in MMW to put music in folder A, Movies in folder \music, TV shows in folder \TV and Home Videos in folder \Home Videos ?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, that would be the answer to that. You can create Collections for each of those types of files you have using Criteria like Type and Path. And then set a rule per Collection.

Masks: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... enames/4.0
gordol

Post by gordol »

Lowlander wrote:Yes, that would be the answer to that. You can create Collections for each of those types of files you have using Criteria like Type and Path. And then set a rule per Collection.
All you are saying is "what" and the question is "how".

If you are unwilling or unable to answer the "how", could you at least point me to the documentation on how to do this? I find the documentation hard to navigate.
yarguy

Post by yarguy »

You need to create masks for each of the types. For example, here is the mask I use to put jazz albums in the Jazz Albums folder

d:\Jazz Albums\<Album Artist>\<Album>\\$if(<Disc#>,Disc <Disc#>\)<Track#:2> <Title>

and here is what I use for classical albums, because I want them organiozed differently

d:\Classical Recordings\<Album>\\$if(<Disc#>,Disc <Disc#>\)<Track#:2> <Title>

You would then need to highlight the entries you want to organize, select Auto-organize under Tools, choose the right mask and click ok.

The Help file has information on masks here: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... nize_Files

It should be possible - using rather complex if-statements - to create one mask that covers everything. Unfortunately, for me, my attempts to do so have failed, but that says more about my programming skills than about the capabilities of MM.
gordol wrote:All you are saying is "what" and the question is "how".

If you are unwilling or unable to answer the "how", could you at least point me to the documentation on how to do this? I find the documentation hard to navigate.
gordol

Post by gordol »

yarguy wrote:You need to create masks for each of the types. For example, here is the mask I use to put jazz albums in the Jazz Albums folder

d:\Jazz Albums\<Album Artist>\<Album>\\$if(<Disc#>,Disc <Disc#>\)<Track#:2> <Title>

and here is what I use for classical albums, because I want them organiozed differently

d:\Classical Recordings\<Album>\\$if(<Disc#>,Disc <Disc#>\)<Track#:2> <Title>

You would then need to highlight the entries you want to organize, select Auto-organize under Tools, choose the right mask and click ok.

The Help file has information on masks here: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... nize_Files
Thank you, that was the missing piece. I think I finally got how to do this, and I think once I fix the file metadata to match what MMW works with (imported from iTunes, so...) I think I'll get it where I want it to be.

Or not...

OK, I created a new Collection for TV shows, and edited the metadata on some series to show up in that collection. I also added an auto organize mask for it, so I now have two. This screen shot should show that each one is set to work on a different collection:

Yet, when I then trigger the auto organize command, the confirmation window shows the wrong destination path.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

gordol wrote:Yet, when I then trigger the auto organize command, the confirmation window shows the wrong destination path.
Do you mean Tools > Auto-Organize Files? That is a separate feature independent of Auto-Organize. Auto-Organize is automatically triggered when files are added to the Library or edited in MediaMonkey.
gordol

Post by gordol »

Lowlander wrote:Do you mean Tools > Auto-Organize Files? That is a separate feature independent of Auto-Organize. Auto-Organize is automatically triggered when files are added to the Library or edited in MediaMonkey.
Shouldn't the manual trigger follow the same rules that are setup in the auto-organize option?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

No, it's an independent feature. It would be nice though if it listed the Mask used by Auto-Organize.

The point of Auto-Organize is set and forget as it will automatically do the job, there would be no need for Auto-Organize Files. The only exception is when you first set it up and need to have existing Library files organized too, then either use Auto-Organize Files with the same Mask as Auto-Organize or mass-edit the files to trigger Auto-Organize.

As I like to see the results of Auto-Organize before letting it loose I use the Mask in Auto-Organize Files anyway. This will show the changes the Mask will make, thus allowing me to see if it is really what I'm looking for. Then I just copy the Mask over to Auto-Organize and setup a Rule.
gordol

Post by gordol »

Lowlander wrote:No, it's an independent feature. It would be nice though if it listed the Mask used by Auto-Organize.

The point of Auto-Organize is set and forget as it will automatically do the job, there would be no need for Auto-Organize Files. The only exception is when you first set it up and need to have existing Library files organized too, then either use Auto-Organize Files with the same Mask as Auto-Organize or mass-edit the files to trigger Auto-Organize.
Gotcha. Thank you very much! :P