Migrating to new computer

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

TroubleClef

Migrating to new computer

Post by TroubleClef » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:55 am

I could use some guidance on setting up MMW on a new computer. My old system is still functioning so I can get whatever I might need from it. Also, I have my music stored on a NAS, will the file paths be messed up or do I have to do anything like re-mapping the drive? Thanks!
MMW Gold Lifetime user

MMA beta tester

Lowlander

Re: Migrating to new computer

Post by Lowlander » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:40 pm

If you're using Mapped Drives you need to update the driveID if you take the database from the old PC to the new PC. If you're using UNC Paths (preferred) this is not needed.

See: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... w_computer
(I personally prefer to only take the Database to a new PC.)
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

TroubleClef

Post by TroubleClef » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:16 pm

Thanks. Looking at the link you sent, if I only copy the database do I need to worry about the other steps like sync all tags first or modify the database to find the nas drive?

Also, silly question I know, but how can I tell if the drive is mapped or using UNC path? I can't remember which way I set it up originally.

And finally, will I lose things like device profiles and masks from the drop downs?
MMW Gold Lifetime user

MMA beta tester

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:42 pm

Syncing tags isn't required. However if you were using a Mapped Drive you do need to update the database with the new "Path" (driveID).

A Mapped Drive will have a Drive Letter whereas a UNC Path will have \\ at the start at the Path (next is the IP address or Server Name).

Many things are in the Database, but not all. Device Profiles are, but I think that Auto-Organize Files Masks aren't (they'd be in the ini most likely). Auto-Organize Masks on the other hand are in the Database.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)