Sync two Windows computers

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

gordol

Sync two Windows computers

Post by gordol » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:53 am

I now have MediaMonkey Gold installed on two Win10 computers, my personal desktop and my personal laptop. My actual media library is on drive F on both machines. It's too large to fit on the C drive.

I want to keep the two installs in sync with each other. When I was using iTunes, this wasn't an issue, as I was able to direct iTunes to keep its database on the same drive as the library, then just synch the entire drive. Can the same thing be done with MediaMonkey? Or, where does MediaMonkey keep its database (playlists, metadata, etc) so I can sync those as well?

I thought I found it in "c\users\{myname}\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey" but when I copied that over, I didn't get my playlists.
Per online docimentation, I also looked in "c\users\{myname}\AppData\Local\MediaMonkey" but that has no actual data in it.

dtsig

Re: Sync two Windows computers

Post by dtsig » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:25 pm

You can install a 'portable' install which allows you to put mmw where you want
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig

mrmascari

Post by mrmascari » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:06 pm

How does one do this?

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:14 pm

Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

RonZimmerman

Trying to get my head around MM

Post by RonZimmerman » Wed May 02, 2018 4:56 pm

I have MMW installed on 3 Windows computers. I sync my music to 3 folders on each computer; D:/Music, so the files are identical and locations are identical. i have installed MMW on the 3 computers. How can I sync the MM db to the 3 computers so when I update one, they all update? And the playlists are identical? I use synctoy to sync. I could sync the MM folder. I have read about using a Portable option in MM, but it seems more if you are using a central location for music.

Peke

Post by Peke » Fri May 04, 2018 5:22 pm

Hi,
Using same MM.Db on all three PCs while tracks are in local folders on each PC as a copies is not possible in MMW as MMW detects that they are copies and handle them as such.

To explain. MMW uses HDD partition Serial Number to Detect Storage places. So in order to make it working on all three PCS you would need to Change Partition serial Numbers to be exactly the same on all of them and them MMW would work.
Best regards,
Pavle
MM Core Developer and Admin of free MediaMonkey extensions Hosting
How to add Images to forum

RonZimmerman

Trying to use e computers with MM

Post by RonZimmerman » Fri May 04, 2018 5:33 pm

I would like to use MM on 3 computers. I put my music in D:/ Music on all computers. If I load MM on 3 computers, is there any way to keep them in sync? Can I use synctoy to move the MM files to another computer and will this work? From reading some posts, it seems the portable install is only good if you want access to only one music location? Is this correct? I want a music library I can access while in the air with my laptop, no internet. Is there any sort of owner's manual explaining any of this? The Wiki seems very bare.

Peke

Post by Peke » Sun May 06, 2018 4:40 am

Hi,
NO, When you move Files from one PC to another PC HDD Serial Numbers on HDD Partition Differs so MMW will assume that all tracks are new.

See my Attached Picture and if each partition is different PCs those serial Numbers needs to be same in order to MMW recognize them as same. There are apps that can change that, but you need to be careful. More you can read here https://www.partitionwizard.com/help/ch ... umber.html and here https://michlstechblog.info/blog/window ... or-volume/
Best regards,
Pavle

RonZimmerman

Post by RonZimmerman » Sun May 06, 2018 9:18 am

Thanks you for your reply. So having 3 separate music libraries won't work. What does a portable installation do?

Peke

Post by Peke » Sun May 06, 2018 4:09 pm

Hi,
Yes, you will have exactly 3 completely different Libraries that can't be in sync :( due the fact they are individual and specific for each PC

Portable installation if installed on external drive and you scan all content of that drive in MMW library. Then when you insert that Drive in any PC and start MMW Portable you will have access to all the files on drive and any changes will be in MMW portable eg. no need for sync.

FYI i just tried Serial number change on two of my PCs and bunch of Files on each one at same location and as I suspected MMW worked flawlessly due the fact that D:\ on both PCS had same Serial number.
Best regards,
Pavle

RonZimmerman

Post by RonZimmerman » Mon May 07, 2018 8:17 am

If I change the serial numbers on my hard drives, what do I have to sync to make this work? Where are the MM files that need to be the same?

Peke

Post by Peke » Sat May 12, 2018 9:30 pm

Hi,
Just copy files to same path on both PCs. I used c:\My Music\
Best regards,
Pavle

RonZimmerman

Post by RonZimmerman » Sat May 19, 2018 8:18 pm

Don't I have to move the MM files, the database to each computer?

Peke

Post by Peke » Tue May 22, 2018 6:28 pm

Hi,
Yes, isn't that you want to do? eg. have files and MMW DB synced on all PCs?
Best regards,
Pavle

RonZimmerman

Post by RonZimmerman » Sat May 26, 2018 3:41 pm

Yes, so only sync the db file in user/app data/roaming/mediamonkey, not the entire folder.