Can You Move Files Without Breaking Play List Link

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

RGADAWG
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:32 pm

Can You Move Files Without Breaking Play List Link

Post by RGADAWG » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:46 pm

Can I move a bunch of files around (within the MM GUI only) and not break any of the Play List reference to those songs ?
I did some experimenting around and it seems that you can.
Do I have it correct ?

On another note, let's say that I have removed a bunch of files from my Library manually (outside the MM GUI) that had previous references to them in various Play Lists. When I pull up those Play Lists it usually shows a greyed out link (meaning the file is no longer available). Will the Play List automatically adjust and remove those songs. It seems likes MM will do that after I rescan or even go out and back into the play list again

- Thanks

Lowlander
Posts: 45062
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 5:53 pm
Location: MediaMonkey 5

Re: Can You Move Files Without Breaking Play List Link

Post by Lowlander » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:53 pm

Yes, as long as MediaMonkey is moving the files all Playlists within MediaMonkey will keep working.

Only when you remove the files from the Library will it update the Playlists accordingly. The Files to Edit > Dead Links subnode will show the unavailable files and you can remove from there. If you have Folder Monitoring (gold feature) enabled it will do it as files are removed and MediaMonkey is running.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

RGADAWG
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:32 pm

Re: Can You Move Files Without Breaking Play List Link

Post by RGADAWG » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:38 pm

Lowlander wrote:If you have Folder Monitoring (gold feature) enabled it will do it as files are removed and MediaMonkey is running.
Ahhh. Yes. That's what I was looking for. Yes, I have monitoring turned on.
It did seem like the dead links were adjusting automatically
Just wanted to check that out

- Thanks

RGADAWG
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:32 pm

Re: Can You Move Files Without Breaking Play List Link

Post by RGADAWG » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:52 pm

Lowlander wrote:The Files to Edit > Dead Links subnode will show the unavailable files and you can remove from there.
Does this just remove the Play List's dead links. It doesn't remove the actual files does it
I could experiment, but better just to ask if someone knows

- Thanks

RGADAWG
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:32 pm

Re: Can You Move Files Without Breaking Play List Link

Post by RGADAWG » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:20 pm

RGADAWG wrote:
Lowlander wrote:The Files to Edit > Dead Links subnode will show the unavailable files and you can remove from there.
Does this just remove the Play List's dead links. It doesn't remove the actual files does it
I could experiment, but better just to ask if someone knows

* Nevermind, brain fart. The files have already been removed, that's why the play list has a dead link

- Thanks

Post Reply