Media Monkey fails to start WinX

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Horus

Media Monkey fails to start WinX

Post by Horus »

Hi all, when I click on MM the splash screen shows and then nothing. MM is not in processes so it is failing to start altogether. Please help this is a dire need as I am forced to use Wind'ohs Media Player. YUCK!

Thank you guys.
Lowlander

Re: Media Monkey fails to start WinX

Post by Lowlander »

Which version of MediaMonkey and have you tried reinstalling MediaMonkey?
Horus

Post by Horus »

Lowlander wrote:Which version of MediaMonkey and have you tried reinstalling MediaMonkey?
As it does not start I hope that the version number is correct via MM Properties as 4.1.20.1864. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, tried the alpha as well. None of them get past the splash screen.

Thank you for any help forth coming.
Horus

Post by Horus »

Well I have reinstalled a fresh vanilla copy of windows and the problem still exists. Media Monkey will not start. All my other media software seem to be fine. PLEASE HELP I DO NOT WANT TO USE WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER! :•(
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Install as a Portable Install (select option in installer) into a different folder (like C:\TempMonkey\). Does that copy start?
Horus

Post by Horus »

Lowlander wrote:Install as a Portable Install (select option in installer) into a different folder (like C:\TempMonkey\). Does that copy start?
That worked perfectly. Would you know why the normal installation process fails and if the portable version is as functional?

Thank you very much for your help.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Is the installation that fails new? It could be a database corruption or an Addon that is causing problems.
Horus

Post by Horus »

Everything is newly installed OS, drivers, software and no addons have been used (I've never really looked into them as I use MM as more of a shuffle music player).

Thank you once again for all your help.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

That is odd. A debug log (step 4b) would show why this happens, attach it to a Support Ticket: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69
Jukebox

Post by Jukebox »

I'm having a similar problem. MediaMonkey (latest version) now refuses to fully start up on my laptop. If I open the task manager I can see it listed in currently running processes, using between 40 & 60% of the CPU, but it never gets any further. I don't see a splash screen because I think I tuned that off.
The only thing that has changed since it last worked a few hours ago is that I allowed the free version of IObit's Smart Defrag to update. I am currently using system restore to reset my computer to before I ran that update. I shall report back soon.

Update: System Restore failed, claiming that Windows couldn't access a file, so I tried again with Windows defender disabled, with the same result. I am now trying an earlier restore point, the only one left that won't cause too much disruption.
Jukebox

Post by Jukebox »

So this is odd. The System Restore failed again, so just for the hell of it I clicked the icon to launch MediaMonkey again.
Nothing happened as before, but this time I just left it. After a very, very long time (well over an hour I think), a box appeared asking me if I wanted to allow MediaMonkey to change my Windows settings. I clicked yes & the program then launched as normal. I closed it down & clicked the icon again & it opened fine. Just to be sure, I closed it again, rebooted & then releaunched it, again with no problem.
I have no clear idea what caused that temporary problem.