Problems with my audiobooks m4b files [#15038]

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Blomi

Problems with my audiobooks m4b files [#15038]

Post by Blomi »

Hello everyone!
I had to install my Desktop fressh after a long time. I used MM Backup to save everything before the wipe.
After all my Backup is fully restored and I don't get any errors, or even got during the restore progress.
But I can't play my Audiobooks now. I would say I have no codecs, but the MM codec pack add on is installed.
What do I do wrong?
Please help me out!
Best regards, Blomi
MMA, always currently beta
MMW4, always current Beta (Currently the last stable build, since it is a long time ;-) )
MMW5, alpha testing, but not in combination of MMA
OnePlus 3, Citrus-CAF
Android 8.1
Windows 10
Peke

Re: Problems with my audiobooks m4b files

Post by Peke »

Hi,
This looks like your M4B were DRM protected do they play in iTunes?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Blomi

Post by Blomi »

I am sorry, these files are not DRM. I made them.
And Itunes isn't installed on my computer. That is why I purchased the MM codec pack. And it all worked before I installed my system fresh. :cry:
MMA, always currently beta
MMW4, always current Beta (Currently the last stable build, since it is a long time ;-) )
MMW5, alpha testing, but not in combination of MMA
OnePlus 3, Citrus-CAF
Android 8.1
Windows 10
tygill

Post by tygill »

I'm having the same problem with the latest version of MediaMonkey (4.1.20.1864). I have a bunch of DRM-free audiobooks in mp4 (AAC-LC) format. I just noticed that according to http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... aac-tracks, MediaMonkey can play m4b tracks using Windows codecs, so I started trying to test that.

What is strange is that the file extension seems to control whether MediaMonkey can play them or not. If they are given a .mp4 or .m4b extension, attempting to play them fails with a 'Find missing codec' popup. However if I name them .m4a, they play just fine. Shouldn't they play no matter what extension they have?
tygill

Unable to play DRM-free files with .m4b extension (.m4a works)

Post by tygill »

I noticed recently that according to this knowledge base article MediaMonkey now supports playback of .m4a/.m4b files using Windows codecs. I have some DRM-free audiobooks in AAC-LC format, which I tested on the latest version of MediaMonkey (4.1.20.1864).

What is strange is that the file extension seems to control whether MediaMonkey can play them or not. If they are given a .mp4 or .m4b extension, attempting to play them fails with a 'Find missing codec' popup. However if I name them .m4a, they play just fine. Shouldn't they play no matter what extension they have? Particularly since .m4b is explicitly listed in the knowledge base article as being supported?

I previously posted this to an existing thread, but since it hasn't seen any response, I'm posting a new thread in Bug Reports.
tygill

Re: Unable to play DRM-free files with .m4b extension (.m4a works)

Post by tygill »

I just tested this again with the most recent version of MediaMonkey (4.1.21.1875), and it is still failing to play files with .m4b extensions.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Offer a sample file (probably best a link to the file on a fileshare site like dropbox) to Support so they can analyze the file: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/ind ... ets/Submit
tygill

Post by tygill »

Thanks - I just submitted some sample files.
Peke

Re: Problems with my audiobooks m4b files [#15038]

Post by Peke »

Added as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=15038 but unfortunately due the issues in Windows Media Foundation codecs it is problematic to implement in MMW so for now we fixed it in MM5 only.

The Best approach would be to Rename those files in M4A.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts