how to change the Type of multiple files

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

jpound

how to change the Type of multiple files

Post by jpound » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:01 am

I would like to separate classical music from the rest of my collection. I have classical music in a separate folder on my HD so assumed this would be straightforward but many of these tracks are categorized by MM as 'music' rather than 'classical music'.
If I list all the files from my classical folder and under Properties change the Type (under which 'multiple files selected' currently appears) to Classical, the change is not saved - the entries revert to Music.
The only way I can achieve the desired result is to change the properties for every single track one by one. I have many thousands of affected tracks so this is not a realistic option.
Please can someone help?
Regards.

Lowlander

Re: how to change the Type of multiple files

Post by Lowlander » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:49 am

Sounds like you might be in the My Computer node and not working on files in the Library (it's a Library only field). In the Library (like Music) you can select multiple files, Edit > Properties to change Type.

Which version of MediaMonkey?
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

jpound

Re: how to change the Type of multiple files

Post by jpound » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:28 am

You are absolutely right! I was in My Computer node and adding the files to the library solves the problem.
I didn't want to scan the files in case that did something unwanted and irreversible to the tags which have taken a very long time to compile.
Thank you very much, especially for responding so quickly.
Best regards.
MM 4.1.20.1864 BTW.