Number songs in playlist order (not attached to specific song)?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

JamesBrad

Number songs in playlist order (not attached to specific song)?

Post by JamesBrad »

The title might be a bit confusing, this is a bit hard to phrase. So instead see image for simple, visual explanation. It shows the same playlist in iTunes and Media Monkey and how sorting is different. Look at the song ordering in the left column of each example.

Longer explanation:
I switched from iTunes and there is a feature within iTunes that I like that I can't figure out in Media Monkey. Basically in iTunes no matter how you sort a playlist, the column on the far left that numbers the songs will always start at 1 and ascend in order. Meaning when I sort by artist the "1" song will be different than if I sort by song title. No matter how I sort it, that column always goes 1, 2, 3, 4, etc...

But with Media Monkey there isn't such a column. The closest thing is the "#" sort option, but with that it assigns each song a number, no matter how you sort it. I'm pretty sure it's the order it was added to the playlist, but depending on what you sort by the order can go 3, 2, 1, 4, or 4, 2, 3, 1. You get the idea.

I find the iTunes feature particularly useful, for example... If I want to know how many songs I have by a particular artist in a playlist I just sort by artist, notice that songs 11-25 are by said artist, and determine that I have 15 songs by that artist, because math. Can't exactly do that with the way Media Monkey is.

All in all I like this program so much better than iTunes. However this is the one thing I don't really like. Maybe there is a way to get it to work the way I want, but haven't been able to figure it out.

Thanks in advance to anybody who responds.

Oh and if you're curious about the songs I used in the image, they're weeb songs. Don't bother looking them up unless you're into that kind of music.
Lowlander

Re: Number songs in playlist order (not attached to specific song)?

Post by Lowlander »

Right click > Update Play Order and the numbers will be in order again for the # column. It indicates the position of a file on the Playlist which doesn't change until you commit the sorting change to the Playlist (thus allowing sorting without affecting original order till you save it).