MM doesn't add file on Windows 10

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

pheb62

MM doesn't add file on Windows 10

Post by pheb62 »

Hello,

I never had that problem with MM on Windows 7.

Got a new laptop with Win 10, almost new installation, not messed around with it too much yet.

I installed MM, pressed INS key, selected folder with music files, clicked OK.

Very briefly the progress bar is blinking up, telling "Adding ... file 0 of 536" - and done.
No file added to library.
The whole scanning process seems to abort instantly.

Tried to run it as Admin, but same result.

Update:
Although music files are assigned to MM, double click on mp3 files won't play.
Also, dragging an mp3 from windows explorer onto MM doesn't work ( mouse cursor turns in (/) icon).

I also get asked by UAC if MM Com Elevator is allowed to run. Very annoying.

I ran MM as admin, I ran MM Setup as admin - all to no avail.
HELP ....
Last edited by pheb62 on Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lowlander

Re: MM doesn't add file on Windows 10

Post by Lowlander »

Are the files located in a folder that will be skipped: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index. ... elp:#Notes due to being used for other purposes? Or are the files/folde s set to hidden or already in the Library?
pheb62

Post by pheb62 »

No, new folder, copied a few hundred mp3 files in.
Only folder structure (artist\album\mp3files). No other files.

MM installed on almost brand new Win10 Home system.
Recent version of MM used.
Same vesion on Win7 system works as always.

Bw I added some info in my initial post before I saw your reply. Please recheck.
pheb62

Post by pheb62 »

I mounted the old music folder which is on an external on my old laptop as a network drive.
Add files from there works. So it can't be the files themselves.

I deleted the music folder on the new laptop, created a test folder and manually copied files from the network drive onto the local drive test folder.

Need to wait until MM is done with scanning the network drive, then I will test the files in the local test folder again.

Meanwhile: Is there a way to get rid of the UAC message about COM Elevator? Granting rights to a certain exe or dll or such?

Pete
pheb62

Post by pheb62 »

OK, so now after the adding from the network drive was done, I deleted the local music folder, created a test folder and copied music files in.

This time MM did the job as expected.

That means something must have been wrong with the local music folder I had before.

Really weird.

Suggestion for improvement:
Since MM knew the total number of files ("...file 0 of 534..."), at the end of the scan there should have been that many files processed (opened and closed).
If these two numbers do NOT match, MM could know something wasn't working and could present an error message.
Since the add routine comes to an end unexpectedly, upon opening the add dialog, the main MM process should check if the add process ended prematurely, compare the total number of files found and the number of processed files (both figures need to be stored in a common address space, else the counts wold be gone when the add process dies), and notify the user about a possible error situation.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Total number is any file encountered in the scanned folders, so it includes Artwork files, and any other files. Thus these 2 numbers commonly don't match.
pheb62

Post by pheb62 »

I'm after it knows the number as it can display this one, it can count the files to be processed as well.
For me it has only displayed excatly the number of mp3s in the folder, btw.