MM.DB errors, takes ages to "Read Files"

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Roareye

MM.DB errors, takes ages to "Read Files"

Post by Roareye »

So the last day I've started having confusing issues with MediaMonkey. Just installed the latest version and it's made no difference. I have both MediaMonkey Gold too.

So the first error was that the program struggled to load my music files. It would stick on "Reading Files..." for up to ten/fifteen minutes before finally loading my music files. The files were same location as they'd always been, the files were not corrupted and played fine in another player, and they played fine in MM after they'd loaded, so I can leave hard disk or music file issues out of the equation.
I uninstalled MM and reinstalled it, this also did nothing to fix the problem.

Eventually it threw up an error which I can't replicate but told me the issue lay with MM.DB, and included the location on my main hard drive to the file. So I located MM.DB and the MM.DB JOURNAL files and moved them into a dummy folder so I could try and wipe the database clean and start again without potentially losing all my playlists - I wanted to test if the file was corrupted or if it was an issue with MM. At first it was promising, I added a single music file and then closed and restarted the program. It then went back to being stuck at "Reading Files..." even though there's only one track to load, and on a second reboot of the software I got this message;
There was a problem querying the database:
Could not retrieve data "SELECT Songs.* FROM Songs WHERE Songs.IDMedia=? AND Songs.SongPath=?": database is locked (5,5)
This message is from a completely clean new Database file, I've changed nothing except add a single song. I don't know what the database code means, I certainly didn't add it.

What has happened to the program? Did an update damage the program's ability to read it's own database files? If so it needs fixing ASAP. If it's something else, then any advice would be great.

Thank you.
Lowlander

Re: MM.DB errors, takes ages to "Read Files"

Post by Lowlander »

You likely have multiple instances of MediaMonkey (could include Service) open. Have you tried a PC restart? It could also be over-active security software locking the file for scanning (see if new Definition updates are available for it).
Roareye

Post by Roareye »

Just discovered the problem. An internal multi-card reader I added to the system. It was working fine until I tried using the CompactFlash drive on it to transfer files to an old Amiga. The drive was badly built and must have broken under what would be considered normal use. The drive has been in there for a year and a half, but the issues turned up just after the CompactFlash slot started going funky. I'll replace it with an external multi-reader I can unplug from outside. The unit's now clearly defective.

It's odd because the music files aren't accessed via that drive at all - they're on a separate internal SATA drive plugged directly into the motherboard. I realised it must be a bigger problem when the computer started acting slower, OBS Studio refused to load up within a decent timeframe and rebooting the PC saw it lag on a black BIOS screen with the letters B4 in the bottom right hand corner. Looked up the issue and it turns out it was hardware not software. MediaMonkey has run like a dream since removing that multi-reader.

Thanks.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It may have been interfering with access to your normal drive. This would explain the issues.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Multy cards readers are tricky especially if they are OLD and use internal USB connection non compliant to USB HID standards. I have issues with mine and after using app called Zentimo it got stabilized.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts