Metadata for Video Files

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

philw0

Metadata for Video Files

Post by philw0 »

Hello, MediaMonkey gurus. I have looked but didn't find this in the forum already, so here's my question.

When I update metadata for music files, the changes I make get written to the file via ID3 tags (and I can configure how this is done in settings). When I update metadata for videos, the changes are made in the MediaMonkey database but NOT written to the files from what I can see - looking at the file itself it retains the original metadata.

Is this by design, or am I missing a setting (I have looked)?

Thank you
Lowlander

Re: Metadata for Video Files

Post by Lowlander »

It depends on the file type if MediaMonkey writes metadata to the file itself: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index. ... erties/4.0
philw0

Post by philw0 »

Thank you - I'll take a look as the files are mp4 files but I haven't looked closely at the link you provided and which fields I am trying to update.
Finsternis

Post by Finsternis »

Just as a suggestion, I would totally love it if MM saved the playcount/last played/date added in the ID tags of MP3s. Even if it were nonstandard, I would like to know that the data was being kept with the file. Someday if I wanted to I could manually extract it if necessary.

The fact that MM does store so much information in the file tags is one of the biggest reasons I use it. I've had too many databases crap out/get corrupted in me, and with the amount of time I spend tagging and categorizing files, having it be "backed up" like that is critical. It takes so many hours that I'd never have time in my life to redo it all. It would be really awesome to, someday, look at the track statistics over many years.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I suggest you backup the database regularly: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ey-library
Finsternis

Post by Finsternis »

Oh, I do back it up regularly. But I know from experience that deal with MM's database is a frigging NIGHTMARE. It's not just a simple matter of backing up one or two files and then replacing them if they get destroyed or damaged. That would be too easy. If that were the case I'd still have all my metadata from many years ago when I started using MM. There's a reason that the instructions for moving MM to a new computer are about 600 steps long an d involved the use of a third-party script. Or at least that was all true last time I tried it. I've lost so much data to corrupted MM databases and incorrect transfers. It's the thing I hate most about MM - NO simple, easy to way to backup, restore, or transfer the database to a fresh install of the app. (Unless it has changed since the last time I did it a few months ago). I wish i had all the "Date added" and play counts/last played info for all my songs since I started using MM. But it was not to be, sigh.

Not that I'm bitter!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You only need 1 file which is the mm.db file. If nothing changed to your music files you just copy it back to the database location and you've restored it.

If you're moving as well you'll need to update the driveID with the Addon (easiest) or use File > Locate Moved/Missing Files (you need to verify its matches).

My database goes back to 2004, has been moved around many computers over time and been through most betas. Regular backups (can be automated through Backup software or Backup Addon) is recommended.
philw0

Post by philw0 »

I'm back - I have experimented with this in MM and found that my MP4 video files are not being updated.

Auto-organize moves and renames them based on the database entries in MM which is what I want.

But the metadata in the MP4 files is not getting changed. A quick check using Windows Explorer and MP3Tag both show the original title in the file, for example (but the file name and location has been changed according to the auto-organize rules). I am able to change the title tag using MP3Tag and write it back to the file.

If I read the MM "About Track Properties" page correctly, the title field should be getting updated when I edit in MM, shouldn't it?

Please help me understand this better.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Depends, if the setting is enabled under Tools > Options > Tags & Playlists. You could force write with Tools > Advanced Tag Management > Synchronize Tags on selected files.

Files could be read-only or have corrupted headers preventing MediaMonkey from writing to them.
philw0

Post by philw0 »

Thanks again, Lowlander. Still not working. In Tools > Options > Tags & Playlists I do have "Update tags when editing properties checked". I performed a "Synchronize Tags" which didn't change anything. I then went into file properties and unblocked access to one of the files ("This file came from another computer..."), then made an edit to the title and did a "Synchronize Tags" again. Nothing.

The files have been purchased from a video provider so should be well-formed. Certainly no media player has complained and ffmpeg was able to process the one test file with no errors.

MP3Tag has no difficulty updating the metadata within the file so I am still perplexed. I feel like I am missing something obvious.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Can you please Send us sample file (Send me DL Linnk in PM or open support ticket with DL link and reference to this Topic)

I tested tagging today and MMW Correctly updated the MP4 file as soon as I clicked OK. Both Info and Poster (TOP) which can be seen in Video Player Info (Down) is seen in Both MMW and POTPlayer I use for 3D Movie BD Playback on my PC.

Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
philw0

Post by philw0 »

Thanks, Peke. The files are purchased music videos which means I cannot share them for obvious reasons. When I tested with an MP4 file not supplied via the service, I was able to modify tags correctly. I will see about opening a support ticket and exploring further that way, as the files are not DRM-encumbered so should work.
Finsternis

Post by Finsternis »

Lowlander wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:15 pm I suggest you backup the database regularly: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ey-library
Extra note: I do back up the database, but the problem is when drive letters and directories change - then it becomes a nightmare. MM really needs a simple import/export routine where, when you do an export and re-import on a new system, it asks you where the files live now and updates the database. Yes, I know - there is a "locate file" feature for missing files, but it's still a big pain, messes up a lot, and often I end up losing metadata like date added etc. I guess it's stuff that's not stored in the audio files. Anyways it was some time ago since I changed computers so I can't remember all the details of problems I had..
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

a) Use MediaMonkey to move files, then you avoid the problem altogether.
b) Otherwise this is an easy solution: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... n+database