Greyed Out Music Files?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Pedro675

Greyed Out Music Files?

Post by Pedro675 »

MM Free Version:

From my master music files on hard disk I created a playlist of favorites via MM. I then copied that playlist to a thumb drive to play on my car radio. I found the music listed on the thumb drive was too hard to locate on the car radio so I opened the thumb drive on MM and changed the tracks so that each artist was listed by track #, e.g. Neil Diamond = Track 1, Adele = Track 2, etc.

It seems MM also changed the track listings on my master music list on the hard drive even though I had only opened the thumb drive for the changes. I went back into my master music file and changed the track numbers back to the original numbers. But now all those changed songs are greyed out in my music file and will not play. Even the playlist is greyed out.

How do I fix this to get my songs back?

Thanks
Lowlander

Re: Greyed Out Music Files?

Post by Lowlander »

If you change filenames outside of MediaMonkey they'll become Dead Links in MediaMonkey as the database doesn't have these changes. You can use File > Located Moved/Missing Files for these files (make sure you verify matches).

See: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/ind ... ls-to-play
Pedro675

Post by Pedro675 »

Thanks for the reply, I'll read the link.

Just to clarify I did change the "Track #" from MM "Properties" for each song.

I'm thinking these songs are not lost, just not accessible in MM?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Check the Path MediaMonkey shows. Maybe you moved them to the thumb drive instead of copy/sync.
Pedro675

Post by Pedro675 »

I ended up using the original CDs to fix this (using iTunes) by just copying the songs again. MM does use the path to my music hard disk but I could not fix from MM or from the thumb drive in MM. I also had to un-install MM even after the songs were fixed on the HD as MM never recognized the fix.

Once the files were fixed from the CDs I went into the thumb drive and found it contained iTunes software along with the MP3 songs. I deleted the iTunes files and was able to play the thumb drive MP3s direct to my Aux input on the car radio. No music software is necessary to play.

It appears that when a playlist file is created from either MM or iTunes and is not a separate file of just MP3 songs.

In future I will need to go to the thumb drive and delete the media software from the download to rename the MP3 files.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I don't really follow what you're saying. It's probably you moved the files and this would be incorrect if you want them to remain available on your PC (in either MediaMonkey or iTunes). You need to sync or copy files from your PC (using MediaMonkey, iTunes or even Explorer) to your thumbdrive. That way the files remain available on your PC and you can sync/copy again in the future: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index. ... evices/4.0

However you have File > Clear Database to start fresh in MediaMonkey. Then just scan again.
Pedro675

Post by Pedro675 »

I initially just copied a playlist from MM to the thumb drive. I then attempted to change the track numbers on some of the files while in the thumb drive - that's when the files became unplayable (greyed), where ever they were stored - iTunes would not play, MM would not play, thumb drive would not play. Changing the track numbers back did not reverse the change.

The files path was never changed. Luckily I only did this for a small number of songs and was able to restore from original CDs.