MMW Sound Changes When App Has Windows Focus

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

laughsloudly

MMW Sound Changes When App Has Windows Focus

Post by laughsloudly »

I use MMW (4.1.21) exclusively to play music while I do my work. I have noticed a strange behavior today that is puzzling to me. When I click on MMW so that it has the Windows focus, then the sound of the music that is playing shifts to have more bass, like a Pop/Rock kind of setting on an equalizer. However, when I click to any other application so that MMW does not have the Windows focus, then the sound shifts to have less bass and more treble. Depending on the song playing, the effect can be very subtle, or can be somewhat dramatic.

I have validated that I do not have the equalizer turned on. I don't see anything unusual in the Settings:Player:Output Plug-ins (using MediaMoneky DirectSound output).

Is this a feature built into MMW? Has this always been there and I just haven't noticed it? How can I turn it off? Am I just imagining things? Is it possibly a side-effect of volume leveling?
Lowlander

Re: MMW Sound Changes When App Has Windows Focus

Post by Lowlander »

Never noticed, nor seen it reported. Have you tried a different Output Plug-in?

I wonder if this a "feature" of the sound card.
laughsloudly

Re: MMW Sound Changes When App Has Windows Focus

Post by laughsloudly »

Good call on a "feature" of the sound card. In my case, disabling the "Dolby Audio" features created much better sounding music. Go figure.

In Windows 10, right-click the speaker icon next to the clock and choose "Open sound settings."
Click the "Device Properties" link.
Click the "Dolby Audio" tab.
Click the button to "Turn off" Dolby audio.

Thanks!