What Does Blue Highlighting on File Names Mean? Are Artist and Album Retained with File When Not in File Name?

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

MasterJack

What Does Blue Highlighting on File Names Mean? Are Artist and Album Retained with File When Not in File Name?

Post by MasterJack » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:30 am

When I try to configure the file names of my music files, MM always highlights many files in blue. I have no idea what this means. The highlighted files are not too long, and they aren't even duplicates. What does this mean and do I need to change the file names?

The other question I have: I am trying to shorten my file names, as MM seems to be telling me I need to do this by highlighting many file names in red when they are left in their original form. (I have a lot of classical music with long song titles, and also MM seems to want to repeat portions of the title twice in the title field). So I told MM to limit my file names to title only - with a limit of 100 characters. I have a question about whether the files will now be mixed up and unidentifiable as to artist and album when I store them for back-up on a hard drive and in off-line storage. Is the artist and album information retained with the files, even though their file pathways are shortened to contain only the song title? I don't want the files to be hopelessly scattered when I import them back into MM someday.

Lowlander

Re: What Does Blue Highlighting on File Names Mean? Are Artist and Album Retained with File When Not in File Name?

Post by Lowlander » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:07 pm

Tags and filenames are independent.

I suggest you a Mask to shorten individual fields instead of the whole filename, so some information is retained better as well as organization structure. So for example use $Right(<Album Artist>,50)\$Right(<Album>,50)\<Track#>. $Right(<Title>,50)

https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index. ... ormats/4.0
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)