Best way to run MM4 in a Windows VM

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

jcfogerty

Best way to run MM4 in a Windows VM

Post by jcfogerty »

I wish to try running MM4 (and sync to MM Android App) in a Windows virtual machine running within Arch Linux (with 8GB of RAM). Is there anyone who has done so successfully? Which version of Windows works best when doing it, and which VM approach (VMware or VirtualBox) works best with MM4?
jcfogerty

Re: Best way to run MM4 in a Windows VM

Post by jcfogerty »

I set up Oracle VM VirtualBox running in Arch Linux, with Windows 10 as the VM. I installed MediaMonkey., and used the script updatelocationoffiles to point to the VM address for the existing library.

Everything is now set up perfectly in Linux as it was in Windows. The tricky part was getting the MM database reconfigured.
jcfogerty

Post by jcfogerty »

It is not running perfectly after all, as I now see the "scan at startup" does not appear to be re-reading my file tags, as configured to do. I have scan at startup and scan continuously checked for my music library folder.

At startup, the status bar shows "Adding 0 of 15000" where the number 0 remains constant instead of increasing as the files are being processed. The right figure (15000) properly started at zero and increased until the total library size was reached, but then the script stopped and no updated tags (0) were added.

Then, if I manually rescan, I get the dialog titled "Remove Unavailable files ?" which indicates that most of the library files "could not be found in their expected locations," even though that same dialog is pointing to the correct actual locations. When I select the option to "Locate Moved/Missing files" and reselect my library folder, it scanned all of the files and the dialog for "Update the library with the new location for the following files" shows no files under both "Files Located in New Locations" and "Unlocateable" files tabs, so I selected "Update" since the tab for "Unmoved files" ilisted my existing library files, where they have been all along. Doing these steps does not seem to have made any difference, because when I did rescan after that, I got the same dialog titled "Remove Unavailable files ?"

I thought it might be because I had set the number of processors on my VM to one instead of two, but it is not working even after increasing it to two.

Any suggestions?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey uses driveID to locate the files (not drive letter). Perhaps the drive is mounted with a different ID each time or not ready when MediaMonkey starts scanning?
jcfogerty

Post by jcfogerty »

Lowlander, I always appreciate your help!

I just figured it out, and it was my user error. When checking the scan folder, I failed to select the mp3 file type, so it basically complied and ignored scanning my library. Not sure how that got unchecked, but yes, it seems it is the most simple things I overlook. Thanks anyway!

Running

Code: Select all

wmic path win32_physicalmedia get Tag,SerialNumber
returns this SerialNumber:

Code: Select all

VB5d4a1130-51c29beb
If this is the correct identifier, is there a way to make MM use this driveID?

It appears MM4 treats the VirtualBox shared drive as a Windows networking shared drive, does that matter?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Network shares work better (not Mapped) as then it just uses the Path instead of driveID.